cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Fibre 900 and third party router speed issue

Hi everyone, 

I have BT Fibre 900 and I am using/used a third party router. My first one was a XR500 and my current one is a RT-AC86U. 
My issue is using a third party router my speeds to my router is limited to a max of 550 somehow. I bought the RT router as I thought maybe it was an issue with the XR500 as the BT smart hub 2 was getting full speeds. I have tried all the settings under the sun and still can’t achieve the full speeds 😞 

anyone have any experience with this? I’ve spoken to BT and they had no clue. 

TIA. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Fibre 900 and third party router speed issue

How are you testing your speed? Wireless or ethernet?

What result do you get from Fast.com using an ethernet connection?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Hi there, 

I try both, but luckily my router allows me to test the speed it’s getting directly so I don’t have to be wired in 100% of the time to know what speed it’s getting. And that’s tops out at around 600mbs normally (same when I am wired). I tried to attached screenshots but it won’t let me for some reason. 

ASUS Router menu - 552 down and 110 up

Fast wireless - 270 down and 92 up (on a iPhone 11) 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I don't know what servers Asus use for their speedtests but they might not be fast enough for testing Gigabit download speeds so do check with some other speedtest sites on your PC (with wired Ethernet).

On the Asus router you will need CTF enabled for maximum speed - make sure that you have extra features like parental controls disabled as this will reduce download speeds.  Also try a factory reset in case you have any QoS settings enabled.

Message 5 of 5

Hi there, 

couldn’t find anything in terms of CTF but looked online and saw something about Jumbo Frame and enabled that, any suggestions where I could find CTF? Made a slight increase to around 600mbs (same wired). Also did a factory reset which didn’t improve anything. And no additional features are on at all. 

0 Ratings