Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomMettam
Message 1 of 8

BT Fibre: West Wratting

Go to solution

Hi all

I am very keen to get access to BT Infinity, and I have been receiving some confusing messages lately from various sources.

I live virtually opposite my servicing exchange, EAWWR.  Up until recently, the exchange was showing an RFS date of 31/12/14. When I searched for my postcode ( CB21 5LU, ) on the BT Infinity "when and where" search, I was told that service is expected to be provided within 6 months.

They even installed a cabinet right outside the exchange, which is literally across the street from me.

However, in the last few weeks, the exchange FTTP status on SamKnows has changed to "Not available", and my search shows this:

In fact, i get this same result anywhere I search for in West Wratting.

When I search for a postcode in Balsham, however (a nearby village), I see this:

I do understand that if I have a direct line to the exchange, and not to the cabinet, then matters are complicated.  However, I'm willing to pay for an engineer to reroute our line to the cabinet outside the exchange, or pay for FTTPoD, whatever is necessary to get away from BT 20CN!

I was wondering if the exchange status is actually simply entered incorrectly into the BT checker, or if there is some other reason for this.

Any light anyone could shed on this would be wonderful.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Fibre: West Wratting

Go to solution

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. If you have a BT phone use that number. If not, use the address checker which is more accurate than the postcode checker which can cover more than one cabinet.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only(EO) line. This means you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.

If there is a cabinet out side the exchange this will allow EO lines to connect to a cabinet. This however is not high on their priority list so may take some time for the cabinet to be commissioned.

Even if you are willing to pay, Openreach will not re-route your line. This will only be done as part of the cabinet installation process and will include all the EO lines.

If FTTP on Demand is available you might find that the cost is prohibitive.

See link for wholesale cost.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucF...

0 Ratings
TomMettam
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
"Even if you are willing to pay, Openreach will not re-route your line."

What if I order a new line? No difference?

"If FTTP on Demand is available you might find that the cost is prohibitive."

The pricing is fine, but where can I actually order this from?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
FTTPoD is only available if FTTC is so you you would not be able to purchase yet
0 Ratings
TomMettam
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Right, but can I get FTTPoD from another nearby cabinet which IS active?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

costs are very high if you could get it  http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucF...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
FTTPoD is only available from a limited number of exchanges and would be shown on the checker if available
0 Ratings
GordonRiley
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
The Project Manager overseeing work on the West Wratting exchange tells me that FTTP will be enabled in Church End and Mill Hill, Weston Colville, week of 15 Feb 2016
0 Ratings