cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT (GFast DSL Fibre 250) connection with Google Nest Wifi - Intermittent connection drops

Go to solution

Hi all,

I've been running BT's fastest DSL option at home since November.

WiFi is turned 'off' on the home hub and I have Google Nest Wifi plugged in to one of the ethernet ports. The Google Next Wifi is meshed to two other access points in my house. Connection between them is good.

Problem:

Every hour or so - but particularly in the morning my Wifi drops out for 10-15 seconds and then comes back. V. annoying for work etc. The timing sometimes correlates with the following events in my router log:

09:13:00, 28 Jan.
2.4G client Mac: 0A:8E:3B:AA:48:9C Deauthentications (Reason:Disassociated due to inactivity )

It feels like there is something going on between the Google Nest WiFi and the home hub but that's just a hunch.

Can anyone out there help troubleshoot please?

Thanks so so much!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT (GFast DSL Fibre 250) connection with Google Nest Wifi - Intermittent connection drops

Go to solution

2.4G client Mac: 0A:8E:3B:AA:48:9C Deauthentications (Reason:Disassociated due to inactivity )

You say the Wi-fi on the BT router is turned off, so the above must be from the Google nest.

Whatever device that MAC address refers to seems to be going into sleep mode after a period of inactivity, trace the device and check the power saving settings 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: BT (GFast DSL Fibre 250) connection with Google Nest Wifi - Intermittent connection drops

Go to solution

Yes that's correct.

Two questions:

1. if using Google Nest Wifi - is that the right way to set it up (disable WiFi on the BT router?)

2. What do you think the root cause of the Wifi fluctuation is?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@duncanwatts01wrote:

Yes that's correct.

Two questions:

1. if using Google Nest Wifi - is that the right way to set it up (disable WiFi on the BT router?)

A: That seems the logical way to do it

2. What do you think the root cause of the Wifi fluctuation is?

A: The log is telling you that a device which was connected to the Nest via the 2.4GHz carrier is disconnecting due to inactivity i.e. sleep mode an the MAC address identifies the device. You need to find which of your devices has that MAC address (you should be able to see that in the Nest settings) and check the power saving settings.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

For interested folks the solution turns out to be down to configuration of the Google Wifi mesh.

Namely:

- disable wifi on SmartHub 2

- put Google wifi access hub (the one wired into the Smarthub) into the DMZ

- Enable port forwarding from the smarthub to the Google wifi access point - specifically UDP on 5222 (putting 5222 in the start and end fields of  the internal / external ports fields)

- On the Google Wifi App then enter customised DNS (192.168.1.254 and 8.8.4.4 as backup)

Thanks

0 Ratings