cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

BT HH 3 - no response to ARP

Every so often my BT HH3 decides it has tired of being a hub and decides to become a brick. Wifi still works, but the wired network just ceases to respond. 

Network investigation shows a high number of network collisions on an 8 port hub. This is operating at 100mbs. 

Using WireShark shows that arp requests to 192.168.1.254 go unanswered, so no PC can fnd the router. 

I have rebooted the router by power cycling it (I can't connect to do a reset from the admin pages). This changed nothing. 

HH3 has been fine for 6 months, but started playing up last month. No new kit has been installed. All extraneous kit has been removed, but problem persists.

Any clues? 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT HH 3 - no response to ARP

Replace the 8 port hub with an Ethernet switch instead, that should eliminate the collisions which hubs are prone to, as they direct traffic to all ports, and are only half-duplex anyway.

Ethernet switches are very cheap and plentiful.

An Ethernet switch will only route Ethernet frames to the correct destination, and not to every device on the network.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks - yes, that makes sense. About time I replaced the hub anyway. Its served me well, but I think its older than 10 years now! 

Anyway, I moved the hub to a different port on the HH3 and PRESTO! Everything works. 

1 down, 3 to go. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Its always a good idea to keep a hub for testing purposes, should you want to monitor an Ethernet circuit using Wireshark, as a switch will not replicate all traffic on a port, unless you buy one with port mirroring facilities.

I use one on my network in-line with the main Internet connection, so I can monitor traffic in both directions. The half-duplex function does not really degrade the connection, as my Internet link only runs at about 9Mb.

The rest of my network uses proper Ethernet switches.

0 Ratings