cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 31

BT HOME HUB 5 - Connection problems with Facebook/snapchat/youtube and netflix

I can load loads of website absalutly fine but when trying to load facebook/snapchat/youtube or netflix (these are the ones i know of so far) they dont load on the computer it will just give me a connection error and on mobile these apps just wont refresh update or recieve any data?

i have called bt about the issue and they cant see a problem. They have done checks on my line asked me to reset my hub and reset my line. but no errors come back but the problem still persists

it seems as if there is a firewall blocking these certain websites but there is not firewall setup on my hub or in my bt account so im completly confussed on why it is doing this? 

if i am not connected to my hub they all work fine through my mobile data or openzone so its defonetly an issue with my hub?

any ideas on what could be causing this?

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 31

Re: BT Home Hub 5 - problems accessing some websites and cant update/download apps.

I am having trouble loading Snapchat/Facebook?youtube and netflix but when i connect to a open zone or use my mobile data they all work fine. it is the same on any phone we use and computer there seems to be a problem or something blocking my connection to all of the websites.

i contacted bt and they could help much and cant figure out where the problem is coming from they have done checks on my line and is all fine they also reset the line and i reset my hub but problem is still there?

any help i have the bt home hub 5

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 31

Re: BT Home Hub 5 - problems accessing some websites and cant update/download apps.

Have you checked that Parental Controls are not active on your account?  Switching them off seemed to have cured the problem in message No. 55.  The one just above yours.

Parental controls can cause some issues and in any case are so easy to bypass they seem somewhat pointless.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 31

Re: BT HOME HUB 5 - Connection problems with Facebook/snapchat/youtube and netflix

Have you checked that Parental Controls are not active on your account?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 31

Re: BT HOME HUB 5 - Connection problems with Facebook/snapchat/youtube and netflix

parental controls are disbaled - everything that i could think of that could be blocking my connection has been disbaled

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 31

parental controlls are disbaled and have never been on

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 31

No problems accessing any of the sites here.  If you are certain Parental Controls are off then the only difference here is I don't use a hub and use OpenDNS servers instead of the BT DNS servers.   Try using the OpenDNS servers on your PC, and see if you can access the sites on that.

208.67.222.222  and 208.67.220.220

Alternatively you could try disconnecting the hub from the socket for a few minutes then you should get a new IP address and hopefully a new route through the network.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 31

The websites you are having issues with are the same as:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Home-Hub-5-problems-accessing-some-websites-a...

I wonder if there is a correlation.

Do you know how to open a command window / terminal on your computer?

If it's PC it'd be interesting to try:

nslookup www.facebook.com

nslookup www.youtube.com

nslookup www.netflix.com

and:

tracert -d www.facebook.com

tracert -d www.youtube.com

tracert -d www.netflix.com

[ If you have a mac, use traceroute instead of tracert ]

These will show the IP address resolutions for the services that aren't working right and also attempt to trace the path from your home network to these networks. These may give an indication of where the problem lies.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 31

bellow is a copy and paste from cmd tracert - this is a netflix but is the same with facebook and youtube?

also changing dns doesnt solve my problem?

tracert -d www.netflix.com

Tracing route to www.eu-west-1.prodaa.netflix.com [2a01:578:3::3431:4bb]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     6 ms     1 ms     1 ms  2a00:23c4:f32:ee00:a608:f5ff:fe67:85df
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 31

That's very interesting. You are connecting to those sites with IPv6 rather than IPv4. Last I knew there was no IPv6 support on the HH5 (this may have just changed).

Do you by chance have HomePlug installed (ethernet over power)?

0 Ratings