cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Halo and Sky Q

I upgraded our Router to the BT Halo last week.  After the change I needed to update my Sky Q box.   I keep getting the error message about not giving out IP addresses.   The Sky Q box finally works but I find every time that I have to switch off the router it goes off again.    I have two other Sky mini boxes in the house, one has worked, the other which is further away from the router will not work at all.   The are not properly connected.   I know that if I call BT they will blame Sky and vice versa.  I went into the admin part of the router but don't know what to change.  I am not very technical but can follow instructions.  I have round a few things that might help but frankly don't understand what they are telling me.   I was assured when I bought the BT Halo that it would be better than the previous one, but it does not appear to be so in terms of signal.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Halo and Sky Q

If it was Halo 1 you added that is just an add-on and does nothing to your actual connection but gives some additional benefits.  Have you tried changing the channels especially the 5ghz. Set channels to manual instead of auto and move the 5 ghz channel to either 44 or 48 just not 36 as skyq uses that

also I would get a wifi analyser for phone and check what networks are near you and channels in use and set your channels to free or less congested channels

i have sh2 and skyq + 3 mini boxes all connected wireless without problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Can you explain further what you mean, channels on halo or sky? What channels how do I change?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

You cannot change the skyq.  Halo as I said is an add-on and you probably have a sh2. You need to go to hub admin page then wireless and you should be able to change the channels to the preselected choices  the 2.4 I would check with a wifi analyser on phone and then select a channel but the 5ghz just set to either 44/48 just not 36

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Well I've done all that and it still doesn't work.  I've got the 5ghz on 44.  The 2.4 is on 1 which was the default setting.

One of them is OK but the other now tells me I need to get a Sky booster.  I have even tried putting the disc nearby in case that helps.  I need someone from BT to explain why something that was working fine now doesn't work.   BT need to get this sorted for me, how do I go about that.

Help, this is really frustrating and quite exhausting as I am running up and downstairs pressing buttons all the time!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Which halo add on do you have 1 or 2?

is your skyq mini connecting to the skyq main box?

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

@Lodge12 

You have to remember that the Sky Q box connects to the BT Smart Hub 2 using the 2.4ghz band or ethernet, the 5ghz is only used when you have Sky Broadband.

Once the main Sky Q box is connected to the BT Smart Hub successfully you will be able to use Netflix and download on demand content. Once that connection is established and working you can move on. From here, the BT Smart Hub is not involved.

This is because the main Sky Q box creates and broadcasts it's own Wi-Fi mesh on channel 36 of the 5ghz band (hence you are recommended to move your BT Smart Hub off of it, which you have done).

This Wi-Fi mesh is what the Sky mini boxes connect to, they never connect to your BT Smart Hub or any other hub, they connect to the network created by the main Sky Q box.

You now need to work through the Sky mini boxes, starting with the closest to the Sky Q box first and reset the network connection to establish a fresh connection with the Sky Q main box. You will find a guide here: Connect a Sky Q mini 

If you use WPS to make the connection you connect the next mini to the last mini like a daisy chain. You will find loads of help on this on the Sky customer help forum or in the help page I have linked to above.

Remember, there is nothing wrong with your BT Smart Hub, only the Sky Q main box ever connects to it, the minis always have to connect to the Sky Q box.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@stereohaven 

Interesting as my 3 skyq minis have ip addresses allocated by the sh2 and show as connected devices on 2.4ghz network

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

@imjollywrote:

@stereohaven 

Interesting as my 3 skyq minis have ip addresses allocated by the sh2 and show as connected devices on 2.4ghz network

Indeed, confused the hell out of me as well but has been confirmed a few times in threads on the Sky help forum. The minis can only connect to the mesh Wi-Fi put out by a Sky Q main box when Sky isn't your ISP, but pick up IP addresses through that and show in the device table. 

0 Ratings