cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

BT Halo and Whole Home Discs - Compatible??

Go to solution

I was recently persuaded to upgrade to Halo 3 and received a new router/hub and one disc.

Previously I had 3 Whole Home discs connected to the old router dotted about the house. I’ve now found that the new router and one disc are not providing as good a reach/download speed. Can I connect one of the Whole Home discs or are they incompatible devices?

thanks

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Halo and Whole Home Discs - Compatible??

Go to solution

@js246 

Just connect the white disks as before, with one connected to an Ethernet port on the home hub, and do not use the black one, as the two systems are incompatible.

You can use all three white disks as before, in the same locations.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

You may also find that you have two wireless networks: one mesh system created by the Whole Home WiFi and another from the HomeHub.

Apparently there are ways to merge them into one network, but I could never get them to work properly so turned off WiFi on the HomeHub. I put the "master" WHW disc close to the Hub and experimented with the locations for the other two.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @js246 Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. The discs are unfortunately incompatible but as you have Halo 3, you can request up to two extra discs individually via the online troubleshooter or by speaking to one of our advisors. Our systems will help us understand where you need the signal and if an extra disc will help.

Thanks 
Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks Keith - in another response I’ve been advised to order more ‘black’ (Halo) discs and use those instead?

I thought the white (WH) discs were ‘daisy chain’ and the Halo were ‘mesh’ but don’t really understand the difference tbh.

Jeanne 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks Neil - another response says to use the 3 white WH discs instead?
Are they different? Thought WH were daisy chain and Halo were mesh - which is better with latest router?
Also, how do I order more discs ? I went on troubleshooter and because I’m connected it didn’t give me any option to order more?
Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks Paul - just trying to clarify which discs to use now!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

@js246 both types of discs use wifi mesh and you'll have to use one or the other as they won't work together. As you're paying for Halo 3 which comes with a wifi guarantee I'd recommend sticking with the black discs. The black discs are designed to work with your Home Hubs wifi as it links into the same mesh network. 

I can help you order another black disc if you'd like and will send you a private message so you can send over your details to the moderation team.

Thanks
Neil

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
Perfect, yes please Paul!
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution
Sorry - was meant for moderator/Neil!
0 Ratings