Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carlusha
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Help Browser

Good evening

Having lots of issues following an engineer visit to resolve phone problem. Phone worked fine for the rest of the day after the visit - some change made at the exchange after a thorough check of our home.

Now next day and today, no telephone and continuous dropouts of internet (Infinity).

Somehow, my BT Help Browser ceased to work and I was prompted to update to a newer version.

After endless dropouts and attempts to run the Browser, I am told

"Missing shortcut, Windows is searching for BTHelpBrowser.exe"

I cannot find it either, suggesting it never appeared during the update of the Help Browser.

I am sure the internet dropped out at least 3 times during the download.

I have tried uninstalling again (using the BT Uninstaller) but that never seems to complete, hanging while attempting to do something to the registry.

Rushing before internet drops again!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Help Browser

Hi Carlusha,

Thanks for posting. if you're still having problems drop me an email with your details and I'll be happy to help. You'll get the 'contact us' link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Carlusha
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Good evening

Today saw 3 engineers (H&S requirement) fit a new connection from the pole to the premises. Everything flying along nicely and the phone line is crystal clear. Great job by the OR team.

OK, The BT Desktop Helper is a nice piece of software. It's not really needed until something goes wrong.

My problem is during an update to the newer version, the internet connection dropped at least 3 times. Now the program will not run, complains that the BTHelpBrowser.exe cannot be found.

Right, I went ahead and tried to install again but met with Installation Failure, The installation could not continue, BT Desktop Help is already installed. Wheter rightly or wrongly, I used the Windows Remove Program to uninstall the Helper in the belief that I could effect a clean install.

So, here I am going round and round in circles! I believe there might be a registry item that isn't being updated or cannot be updated because of something I have done during the internet drop outs. These lasted hours.

Can you or any of the other experts advise if I do a restore from a while back, I will return to when the Helper was up and running correctly?

Cheers and thanks

Carl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

My advice would be not to install BT Desktop Help. It is not needed on your computer and can cause problems. If you have uninstalled it you should also run the clean up tool here and after doing that, if you really want it you should try re-installing it.

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thanks.

Now therein lies the problem!

I am certain I uninstalled it. Trying to reinstall won't work because it says Helper is already installed! I cannot see it anywhere. Trying to run the cleanup "tool" won't work because I am told I first have to uninstall the Helper!

That is why I suggested earlier there may be a registry entry somewhere that is confusing the add/remove/clean up programs.

Being an old fart, I am reluctant to fiddle in the registry which is why I asked if a restore would place me back with a working Helper. If so, I can then decide whether to remove it with a fully working internet system this time!!!

Still very stable!

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

I am always wary of using the restore option to solve this type of problem. It can come with its own problems mainly because it is not guaranteed to restore programs that have been uninstalled.  It is not a complete backup of your computer, it is more a backup of your operating system files and updates. 

Have you tried searching for BT on your system. You can go to Start  and in the search box search for BT. You could also look for it by going to Start > Computer > and click on your C drive. Go to Program Files and scroll through the files to see if there are any BT ones. If there are, open the folder and see if there is an uninstall option available.

The other Option is to download and run the free version of CCleaner from Piriform and run the registry cleaner. This may clear out any remnants of BTDesktop Help.

Carlusha
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks. I already had CCCleaner installed so ran that to clean up the registry. There were a couple of BT items, so I allowed the cleaner to continue.

Upon completion, still the same, try to run the BTDesktopHelpCleanupTool tells me that I haven't uninstalled the BT Helper yet!

OK, tried to install again but that meets with "The installation could not continue. BT Desktop Help is already installed". I am therefore still stuck in that circle.

There is no sign of any BT programs except the BT Cloud directory. As mentioned before, net connection is now so stable perhaps I will not have any need to run the BT Tool!

Thanks anyway.

Carl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

If it is only a registry key that is preventing you from downloading it again I would say it is doing you a favour. As long as your computer is running as it should I would not waste any more time on trying to install BT Desktop Help.

BTDesktop Help is not needed to manage your Internet connection or for anything else on your computer. Windows can do that perfectly well on its own.

Carlusha
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Cheers and thanks.

Funnily enough - just back from visiting a friend. He became rather fed up with RealPlayer, tried to uninstall it with the intention of reinstalling it cleanly. Suffice it to say, when he tried to install, he was told RP was already on his computer although he couldn't find it! The logical step was to uninstall again but there is nothing there! No start button, nothing in the add/remove programs.

Seems to me it is an indentical problem to my own or, as you say, a "no problem" best ignored.

I have emailed him telling him to simply forget it.

0 Ratings