Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ollietwisbo
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Home Hub 3 + Back To My Mac / Port Forwarding

Go to solution

I've recently got BT Infinity and along with it a BT Home Hub 3 which doesn't seem to be playing nicely with Back to my Mac.

The setup on the Mac side of things is correct and I can see my remote computer but I just can't connect to them, or vice versa. The Back to My Mac preference is showing that the router needs configuring for better performance.

I've ensured UPnP is enabled and forwarded the following ports to the device:

TCP 5354

UDP 4500

UDP 5353

UDP 500

UDP/TCP 4488

Which I found listed in http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629

After doing some checks on these ports using http://canyouseeme.org it would seem that only one of these ports is open, and even then it's occassional.

BT seem to state on http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12529/~/why-do-i-get-an-error-message-when-using-appl... that 'Back to My Mac' isn't compatible and this is due to a compatibility issue on Apple's part. Frustratingly this article doesn't indicate a date when this was posted. Never the less, I would presume this could only be UPnP related — i.e. the necessary ports won't open automatically. I'm unsure of what other compatibility issues there would be. If the ports are open it should work fine.

I've read numerous threads in many forums about the BT Home Hub 3 port forwarding not working correctly, is this still true? If so, surely the device should be deemed faulty or a firmware update should have been put in place by now to resolve this. I can't seem to find any recent articles regarding this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Home Hub 3 + Back To My Mac / Port Forwarding

Go to solution

Hi ollie,

If you're still having problems with this please feel free to contact us via the webform link in my profile and we'll check to see what the current status of the investigations with Back to my Mac is.

Cheers

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ojobson
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Is there any solution for this yet?

admmasters
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

I'm experiencing this issue. Very annoying as did not experience this with my older ISP. This leads me to conclude it is definitely a problem at BT's end. 😞 Feel like its affecting my ability to get the most out of my service....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
As Dean has posted if you are having this problem then please contact him and he can investigate further
0 Ratings
ollietwisbo
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

It's partially working for me now with the exception of being able to screen share with my computer when accessing it remotely (outside the network).

I'm unsure whether BT have made some changes to my router remotely as I haven't been kept up to date with the issue. The last I heard after connecting the team via Dean was that this was being investigated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
I suggest you re contact the mods and ask
0 Ratings
ollietwisbo
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

This seems to have resolved itself now. Nothing been done my end.

0 Ratings
cosmic68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Is this still working for you?

I used the same details for port forwarding as you, but I get nothing...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
as no one has posted back I would suggest that it is still working
0 Ratings