cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
napalm32nd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Home Hub 3 Wifi Issues replacement third party units ?

Let me be brief, i have no faith in bt hardware since my first hub, they are faulty from day one.

I have to date had 4 BT Home Hub 3's All present the same issue 3-8 mouths down the life , Wifi signal drops in and out on devices, wifi disconnects for no reason, or simply turns on on the hub.

Now i have been in contact with bt live chat, Telephone customer services, i have even talked to a local engineer twice out of work hours, the only solution to these issues is a replacement hub. I can understand this is not ideal for bt to keep re-issueing replacement hubs for free i mean this would be my 5th but they simply don't work. 

My question is what is the most cost effective method of replacing my Home hub with a third party device. I dont want to spend more money on a third party unit when the cost should be in my bt charges.

Requirements :

I am a BT infinity customer with fiber to the property currently with a Bt Home Hub 3 ( no they would never upgrade me to a new hub and refused )

Personal  requirements :

at least 12 devices in my house hold use wifi, and required it 24/7 aka amazon echos, lights remotes laptops etc etc, i would be looking at something better then the bt wifi already supplied  as long as it works.

Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Home Hub 3 Wifi Issues replacement third party units ?

are you sure it is fibre to premises and not fibre to cabinet and copper from cabinet to home?  in either even you must be using a modem and that connects to hh3 so you only need a router  is the modem hg612?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

TheTP-Link W8960N or 9970 are used by many on this forum and have nothing but good reviews. At only about £30 they are a cost effective replacement.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@napalm32nd

See TP-Link TD-W9970 - replacement for home hub

If you are actually FTTP, with an Openreach ONT (optical), then you would need to use the TP Link, in the wireless router mode.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
napalm32nd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

@imjollyThis is what i have on my wall indoors was always told it was fiber to premises and i have a home hub 3 that is a router & modem yes.

Im looking to get the best combination router / modem that's compatible for under £100 

0 Ratings
napalm32nd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

@Keith_Beddoewe have that router at work and its wifi is underwhelming  the 9970 im looking for something bit better but thank you i have seen alot of praise for it being a good replacement.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@napalm32nd wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewe have that router at work and its wifi is underwhelming  the 9970 im looking for something bit better but thank you i have seen alot of praise for it being a good replacement.

Yes that is FTTP. You can use almost any wireless router, you do not need a modem. There are plenty to choose from, but remember that all wireless routers have the same power output, so what matters is the external aerial arrangement, if its wireless range you are looking for.

I find the 9970 gives good coverage in the house, but you could always get the 9980 instead, which is dual band with three external aerials.

0 Ratings
napalm32nd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

so i gues my real question is best router for undewr 100 with good wifi 5ghz coverage . for many devices. 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

as I have posted before I have a Tplink VR2600 with 4 external aerials and compared it with my HH6 and found there was little difference in wireless signal coverage in my home.  of course it is possible I have a special HH6 as it was one of originals but unlikely.  you may be able to get BT to give you a new HH6 to use but if no better than HH3 then try a third party router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

You only need a router so have a look at the TP Link Archer C7 or C9.

0 Ratings