cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrevorB46
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Home Hub 4 - Printer Connection Problems

I've installed a new BT Home Hub 4 and everything other than our HP printers connect wirelessly with no issues. The HP printers (C510 and 5524 Photosmart models) do not see the Hub (SSID) when searching for networks. They previously connected seemlessly to the Home Hub 3 but despite trying all the usual fixes, de-installing, re-booting, calls with both BT and HP I have so far failed to find a solution. Any ideas please?! 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Home Hub 4 - Printer Connection Problems

@TrevorB46 wrote:

I've installed a new BT Home Hub 4 and everything other than our HP printers connect wirelessly with no issues. The HP printers (C510 and 5524 Photosmart models) do not see the Hub (SSID) when searching for networks. They previously connected seemlessly to the Home Hub 3 but despite trying all the usual fixes, de-installing, re-booting, calls with both BT and HP I have so far failed to find a solution. Any ideas please?! 

This may not be much help, but may give some clues.

The HP 8180 printer, which I have was difficult to setup.

For this model you can only have either USB connection to PC or wireless - not both.

Wireless restricts the functionality or the printer - availability of drives on the printer, etc.

Your model will be more recent, and these problems should have been ironed out.

Is there a reset function on the printer menu?

Try resetting to factory defaults - or at least clear any settings which you have entered, and then start again. I assume that the printer software is up to date.

Also, what security are you using? WEP, WPS. They all seem to be changing and I never know what the latest, most secure  setting is.

All I know is that mine is currently WPA2 personal.

I'm just waiting delivery of a HH4, and will have to go through it all again.

You may try connecting wirelessly to the PC, and not to the overall network, as a starting point.

TrevorB46
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for your quick reply

I've tried pretty much everything including resets etc but I'll certainly try unplugging the USB lead and see if that makes a difference

I connected the printer wirelessly with the Mac and it worked fine so I know the printer works OK it is definitely an issue with the Hub

The security is also WPA2 Personal

I'd be interested to hear your news when you receive your HH4

TrevorB46

0 Ratings
gemjack
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

I have the same problem with a Lexmark S405 with Home Hub 3. I can configure the Wireless connection the printer prints. If I try after a re boot it fails. I have just migrated to BT Infinity, never had a problem with my previous vendors router. Must be a Home Hub issue.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

gemjack your problem has had a reply on your other post
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 10

@TrevorB46 wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply

I've tried pretty much everything including resets etc but I'll certainly try unplugging the USB lead and see if that makes a difference

I connected the printer wirelessly with the Mac and it worked fine so I know the printer works OK it is definitely an issue with the Hub

The security is also WPA2 Personal

I'd be interested to hear your news when you receive your HH4

TrevorB46

HH4 arrived on time. The emails say that activation date is up to midnight, (on a fine Summers' day it's a chore).

However --- do remove the USB cable, as it's one less variable.

The HP 8180 had an option to connect wirelessly directly to the desktop PC. This would give a good starting point.

As for the newly delivered HH4, there's some printing of the quick-start instructions to be done, as the instructions in the package are vague.

There's a button on the hub, marked "wireless WPS" which is confusing.

0 Ratings
TrevorB46
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Good luck setting up your HH4 The WPS button allows you to connect deviices without having to use the wireless key procedure provided you have a compatible WPS enabled device
0 Ratings
mattflat
Message 8 of 10

Hi,

I was having the same issue with my wireless capable HP Photosmart 5510 printer, I tried removing the HP printer software and drivers etc.. Then updating with the lastest software from the HP website. This got the printer printing wirelessly until I rebooted my laptop. So I started to look at the Home Hub 4 settings and found that disabling the wireless 5GHz capability solved the issue and now the printer is printing & scanning without issue.

I know this is not a fix but a workaround though its not an issue if you do not own any 5GHz wireless devices.

1. Connect to the router by typing the router IP address  into the address bar of your internet browser.
  2. Select "Advanced Settings" (type in the router admin password).
  3. Select "Wireless".
  4. Select "5 GHz Wireless".
  5. In the wireless configuration settings set "wireless network enable" to "No", click apply.
  6. Restart the router.

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
TrevorB46
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Hi

Thanks for your interest and reply

I've resorted to our HomeHub 3 for now and everything works fine. There must be an issue with the HH4 or at least the one we have

Hopefully BT issue a SW/FW fix that resolves this problem

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I have a homehub 5 and like you i had continual problems with my HP envy 4500 printer disconnecting. I think i have finally solved the problem after BT and HP "resolutions" did not solve the problem.

It,s simple like most things; Disable smart Wireless in the hub and select a fixed channel,then reconnect the printer. when it shows up in the devices list on the hub set it to aways use the same same IP address. So far this has worked for me.

It seems what was happening is that smart wireless would change the channel if interference occured and then could not see see the printer. Hope of help

0 Ratings