cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 191 of 272

Re: BT Home Hub 4

you can reconfigure the homehub 3 as a slave wireless access point, bear with me i shall copy and paste the instructions i posted for someone in another thread.

@0hM1ghty1 wrote:

Does anybody know if you can connect a wireless access point (via Ethernet) to the HH4 to extend the range? (So I would not have to use a TP-Link in Unviversal Repeater mod, which does not work well)

HH3 prevents this by not allowing the same MAC address on its wired and wireless  ports, but I wonder if HH4 has been changed?

OM1

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 192 of 272

I shall run through how to set up a homehub 2 as a wireless repeater.

1. Connect to the homehub 2 via ethernet and go to 192.168.1.254 make sure wifi is disabled as we dont want you accidently connected to the master hub and changing its settings by accident.

2. goto settings - advanced settings - port forwarding - Firewall - Disable - apply

3. goto settings - advanced settings - port forwarding - upnp - disable - apply

4. goto settings - advanced settings - home network - ip addresses and in the IP address box type 192.168.1.10 (works well for me) and then DHCP server set to no or disabled then hit apply. DO NOT HIT APPLY UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE BOTH STEPS HERE or you could loose connection and it will be hard to get back if you are not computer literate.

5. Now unplug computer from ethernet and plug the homehub 2 into the main homehub via long ethernet or powerline adapters.

As an optional measure but reccomend that you do on both homehubs goto

settings - advanced settings - wireless -  and change the SSID (wireless name) and password on both hubs so they are the same and make sure the password types are the same ie: wpa/wpa2, then your devices will just connect to the strongest signal. To get to the HomeHub 2 set up page now just type in the address bar of your browser the IP address you entered in step 4. Master hub will be 192.168.1.254 as before

The reason you disble the firewall and upnp are to let the master hub handle these, you can leave them enabled but could potentially cause problems with devices finding each other on the network, i have never personally had that problem but just disable them anyway.

For DHCP server only the Master hub can do this and therefore must be disabled on each homehub you connect as a repeater, otherwise devices will connect to the repeater hub but not gain access to the internet and other devices from the master hub

These were originally instructions i gave someone for setting up a homehub 2 as a slave but it works the same for the homehub 3 as i have one set up ready to plug in as a slave access point if i need it.

cunninr2
Beginner
Message 193 of 272

That's wiered. My home hub 3 has been super reliable and consistent wireless all the time. Been a happy customer for many years.
0 Ratings
bapiow
Aspiring Expert
Message 194 of 272

Hub 4

Where can I buy one for £35

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 195 of 272

@bapiow wrote:

Hub 4

Where can I buy one for £35

To purchase it you can contact BT at this number 0800 080 060 or by following this link

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=36119#tab3

0 Ratings
DarrylJ88
Beginner
Message 196 of 272

Hang on, I can understand more that BT Pensioners get it cheaper at £30, but how come delivery is £1.98 for them Totalling £31.98, and £6.95 for us? Totalling £41.95... Surely it should be £36.98...

That is appauling. 

0 Ratings
0hM1ghty1
Contributor
Message 197 of 272

STUEDY3d thanks: to prevent confusion, you are not setting it up as a repeater, just as another wireless access point.

Anyhow, I beleive you are saying that you can get a "secondary" accesspoint working off the HH4 without MAC conflict issues?

OM1

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 198 of 272

No problems at all connecting the Hub 3 to hub 4.

To be honest i never had a problem connecting other hubs to the hub 3 either. At one point due to a broken wifi antenna on my iPhone i had 3 hubs running at once on the same network: HomeHub version 3B was the master and a HomeHub 2 was in my bedroom as an access point and I also had a HomeHub 1 in the garage as an access point as well, all with no problems at all.

0 Ratings
0hM1ghty1
Contributor
Message 199 of 272

Interesting. Experience appears to vary, according to f/w release, I guess..

0 Ratings
cford
Contributor
Message 200 of 272

Is the product real yet or just a pigment of BT's imagination

0 Ratings