Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BellyBuster
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Home Hub 5 - Port Forwarding

Go to solution

In short, zero luck setting up port forwarding. I have seen other threads here and tried a few options without success.

I was on a shared NAT IP address which I requested to be moved off which was done successfully.

There are no spaces in my device name, and I have set a static LAN IP address, also I have tried setting the port forwarding to both the machine name and the IP address and still no luck.

The event log just shows:

IN: ACCEPT [54] Connection opened (Port Forwarding: TCP 192.168.202.64:50505 <-->86.162.<hidden>:50505 [88.198.46.51:60599] CLOSED/SYN_SENT ppp3 NAPT)

Hub version is:

BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.4 | Last updated 18/03/14

Advice welcome.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Home Hub 5 - Port Forwarding

Go to solution

@BellyBuster wrote:

In short, zero luck setting up port forwarding. I have seen other threads here and tried a few options without success.

I was on a shared NAT IP address which I requested to be moved off which was done successfully.

There are no spaces in my device name, and I have set a static LAN IP address, also I have tried setting the port forwarding to both the machine name and the IP address and still no luck.

The event log just shows:

IN: ACCEPT [54] Connection opened (Port Forwarding: TCP 192.168.202.64:50505 <-->86.162.<hidden>:50505 [88.198.46.51:60599] CLOSED/SYN_SENT ppp3 NAPT)

Advice welcome.

That IP address (in bold) is within the home hubs DHCP range, and will give you problems.

It needs to be between 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.63

See Port forwarding problems

especially Using static IP addresses on your home network

0 Ratings
BellyBuster
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Still no joy. I have set the PC to a static IP address outside the DHCP range; no luck - same error.

0 Ratings
BellyBuster
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I've fixed it. I take it all back, the HH5 is working fine, the problem was me.

Connections were being blocked by my PC (windows) firewall. The HH5 error message I posted was because the client port was being blocked.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I am pleased you have it working, its nearly always operator error :smileywink:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MothyT
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi

This has been a long saga which involved numerous telephone calls to BT, swapped routers, and me very reluctantly siging up for BT Tech Experts Service.  I had a feeling I would make one call, and one call only,  and then I would cancel the subscription and ask for the refund.

I have been trying to open port 5900 for VNC connections. On the 1st BT HH5 I was able to open port 22 but no others.  A replacement hub was sent which was an improvement on the first inasmuch as I could open 3389 for RDP but nothing else.

I tried to get help but was always shephereded toward the BT Tech Experts which I was reluctant to do as signing up for a minimum of three months.  As the BT Tech Experts were held up as the people to talk to I managed to wrestle the number out of one of the o ther support teams.  

After going through you haven't paid so you can't speak to me I asked, very nicely, does port forwarding work on port 5900 on the BT HH5?  If the answer was yes - and the answer was an emptahic yes followed by we do it all the time, I would subscribe.

As I'm very happy with the BT Infiinity Service I swallowed my indignation and signed up and called in.  The guy was very helpful while I watched, by remote control, do everything I had tried countless times, to reach the conclusion that trying to port forward 5900 wasn't working.  

So armed with an official fault number I asked, very nicely, for a refund on the BT Tech Experts and that seemed to be accepted with good grace.  I then asked for a credit for the BT HH5 in order that I could source another VDSL router which didn't have the obvious problems with PF that the HH5 has (other than that a very relieable router).  I may have well been trying to alter the Magna Carter asking for a credit and was rebutted with there are no guarantees that it (PF) works and the only duty BT has is to provide a broadband service and took no responsibility for something that the hub has the facility for and many guides on how to do it.

Anyway I'm not at all happy with the approach from BT Customer Services - everyone else seemed to understand that I was simply asking for something the the HH5 porports to do.

So there you have it.  5900 PF on the HH5 does not open - at least with version A with the firmware version ending in 173.1.6 which is very frustrating.

0 Ratings