cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Niels_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 53

Re: 4.7.5.1.83.8.264 Software Update Broken 5GHz SSID

Hi Jocky10, It seems that the only fix is to either get BT to admit the software update has caused the issue and push out a fix as another update, or for you to insist that they replace your router, or just go out and buy a router from the open market. 

0 Ratings
Tree57
Beginner
Message 42 of 53

Hi  - I got into a web chat with BT support, they did some tests, said all ok, then said they would watch it over the next few days . . .and then magically we have had NO issues since (c 2 weeks ago now) . .so I think they did 'something' their end.   So if you are still having issues try the support via web chat.

0 Ratings
Chainsaw
Beginner
Message 43 of 53

This is also my problem as well and I have disabled the 5Ghz for now or at least until BT admit to what they've done and send a fix out.

I tried online chat but because I am out of contract they got CS to ring me.

I explained exactly what the problem was and they tried to go down the "have you turned it off and on", "where is your master socket" etc.. I just groaned!

Basically I was told that I either need to 1) sign up for another term or 2) buy myself a new Homehub because they cannot send me a new one out because I am no longer in a contract.

I said, so you send me corrupt updates even though I am no longer in a contract and then expect me to pay to fix it because I am not in a contract! Thats unfair and downright immoral in my books.

Their only answer was to Factory Reset the Homehub5 and see if that works.

Appaling service.

Virgin Media have installed in my road and its looking more inviting as time goes on.

JUST SEND A FIRMWARE FIX MR BT, and look after your customers  that have been with you since the year dot!

0 Ratings
dao2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 53

Factory reset won't do anything. 

You can use any router, you don't need a bt one but I think you won't get bt WiFi of you don't use their equipment.

Years ago I seem to recall being told that BT uses some of your bandwidth from your router to let people sign on to Wi-Fi that's why they claim to have 5 million hotspots out and about. I'm sure there is a setting somewhere in the router settings to turn off access for people and then it fires up a warning saying your account won't be able to use BT Wi-Fi out and about if you do switches off. 

I could be wrong but I'm sure like I said I was told that's the way they have there hotspots working. 

I'm sure someone will be able to confirm or deny this at some point...

0 Ratings
Chainsaw
Beginner
Message 45 of 53

I have not factory reset my router yet but they said it should work as you would revert to the firmware version when it was new and you would not get the corrupt version again as it has already been sent to your router previously. They did say that you would rceive all further revisions though.
I disabled my 'hotspot' when I got the router and I can still log on to other hotspots when I am out and about with no problem.

I know there are other routers out there but to be honest there is not a problem with the the Homehub that a new firmware can't fix.
I dont know why I should be forced down that route just because BT have screwed up. 😞
I was pretty happy until this latest firmware mess.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 53

@Chainsaw  a factory reset will not reset firmware back to start - the now updated firmware will still be there

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
dao2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 53

Factory reset doesn't do anything as I've tried mine  three times now I think it's the first thing I did when it broke and then again just to prove to the customer service person its been done and again some weeks after just to try it out again.

Still broken.

I've just made a hotspots with another router upstairs for my 5ghz band as I never expected it to be fixed off BT anyway. I keep meaning to turn my hotspot off as I've got plenty of data to use and never use Wi-Fi when I'm out and about anyway.

Chainsaw
Beginner
Message 48 of 53

Aahh OK.

So I was lied to then by the Customer Support lady.

That's even worse.

I can feel an email to the CEO coming on.

I've done it before with good results, with BT, Nissan and Orange.

I just think it's appalling that they have crippled my router with naff firmware whilst I am out of contract and then tell me the only way to fix it is either renew my contract or pay for a new router because I'm out of contract!

Surely they cannot hold customers to ransom like this.

OFFCOM might be interested in this....

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 49 of 53

I'm not sure if you were  a customer it would help as i am a customer and my hh5 was loaded with that update in mar and is still at that level of update. I dont know if my  hh has the fault though as i'm using tplink decos so have my wifi on both 2.4 and the 5 turned off. The decos provide wifi arround our house.

0 Ratings
rogue3
Beginner
Message 50 of 53

After 4 months they still havent fixed it or acknowledged they broke it?  Lols.

0 Ratings