cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rarcher6
Message 1 of 20

BT Home Hub 5 - consistently dropping connection

I am constantly having issues since switching to BT earlier this year with my WiFi connection. I have heard lots of bad things about the BT Home Hub 5 and I have contacted BT asking if I can use the older model to resolve these issues but this was not possible. I have been walked through modfiying my settings as BT apparently do not support MacBook Pros. However this issue is occuring on all my devices, most annoyingly the iPad as I do not have a back-up 3G connection and I cannot use a LAN connection.

Is anyone else able to advice if they have managed a work around other than buying an older modem, waiting to see if the new Home Hub 6 resolves this (supposedly later this year) or just cancelling their BT accounts.

Extremly frustrated, appreciate any help supporting similar moaning or guidance.

Thanks in advance,

Rachel

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Home Hub 5 - consistently dropping connection

try turning of smart setup  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

then split the 2 networks  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

then go into hub and change lease time from 1 day to 21 days

see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

I bought a Huawei HG612 modem off ebay, added my own ASUS router and have never looked back.

The Huawei HG612 is the modem they used to supply with the HH2 which was as wretched a router as I consider the HH5 to currently be.
Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings
teakbank12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

After putting up with the hub 5 from January when i had fibre installed till recently when i demanded another hub 5 as it continuosly dropped out several times a day on both wifi & fixed i was sent a new hub 5.

Fast forward a few days & i find new hub 5 still drops out but not as regularly!!

Have disabled 5Ghz option as soon as i fitted new hub 5.

Have now changed the lease time to 21 days as suggested as i've expreienced hub dropping a signal daily.

Only other weird thing i've experienced is i am not gertting location correct settings on my tablet when i check weather or post in facebook which i always have done previously.

Have now unticked on tablet Googles location service which picks up location from wifi as i'm fed reading weather report from Bristol area when i'm in Lincolnshire!!!!

It seems weird it's only happened since i put new hub 5 in?? Or is it a coincidence??

0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Yes - I had my FTTC installed January 2015 (next door in Rutland as if that's got anything to do with it).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to gather from the posts in this and other forums that whoever has this HH5 problem doesn't find a solution.  There is no published solution.  It may be that those who have gone away have had a hard cause resolved like a proper line impairment and haven't reported back.

But if you put a VDSL modem on and external router and it never drops the connection, then the HH5 is damned and no soultion has been published.

Regarding lease time, are you telling us that it doesn't drop for 21 days now?

As to incorrect location, it is bad practice IMO for the application to base its locational information on your IP address.  My tablet uses GPS to do this stuff.  Sometimes the application provides a data entry means of informing the actual location.

Finally, to be sure we are on the same page - it is the HH5 that is dropping signal and not just the wireless?  In other words wired devices would continue to work or the HH5 light remains green whatever?

Seph

0 Ratings
teakbank12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

I had only changed the lease time this morning after reading here it could help.

Both wifi on my tablet & wired pc lose signal so it's the hub 5 at fault.

Just got home from hospital and wifi dropping out repeatedly!!!!!!

Think i may just cancel my direct debit as BT are in breach of there T&C as the service is not fit for purpose & i'm not interested in speaking to Mr Broadbandings in India who told me last time to chill with a glass of cold water!!!!!!!!

I worked for BT for over 30 years & i'm now embarrassed to admit the company is awful with no quality of service 😞

0 Ratings
teakbank12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Update...I called 0800 328 7797 in desperation informing i'm thinking of terminating my service with BT as it's not fit for purpose.
Line tests etc were performed & a job has been raised as there appear to be errors coming up??
Network faults team are to call me on 21.5.15.
Watch this space 🙂
0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Good luck. I did the same - btw I also worked for BT for a number of years. There was a fault but I had to use Execuctive Complaints to get it done in a reasonable time frame.

With the line fixed, put the HH5 on just to be sure that my accusations were not ill thought out; of course it dropped as a circuit. Put the HG612 and ASUS router on - perfect.

The HH5 in my experience is rubbish - and in any case because of the restrictions on settings of a router nature.
Seph

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

are you dropping internet conenction or just having problems with the wifi.  if the latter I don't think a good wifi connection appears as part of the T&C  however if you are constantly dropping internet connection and have tried connecting to test socket and still the same then you should get engineer visit.  as an ex employee you will know about the £129.99 charge if problem is with your setup or internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

@imjolly wrote:

are you dropping internet conenction or just having problems with the wifi.  if the latter I don't think a good wifi connection appears as part of the T&C  however if you are constantly dropping internet connection and have tried connecting to test socket and still the same then you should get engineer visit.  as an ex employee you will know about the £129.99 charge if problem is with your setup or internal wiring

I know you're addressing Teabank12, but I'm astonished at that remark (in red) being thrown at him.  The HH5 is heavily advertised on commercial radio as being the router that quietly ensures that if your WiFi drops, it'll get the connection going again.  To me that's a headline claim for the HH5 and thus an implied part of the T&Cs.  Fitness for an advertised purpose is a valid basis for termination.

That said, earlier in the thread (message #7) Teabank12 said it happened wired as well and that BT had identified a fault.  So we'll see if that fixes anything.  In my experience it didn't but that's not binding on Teabank12, obviously.

Seph

0 Ratings