cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rwchughes
Beginner
Message 21 of 55

Re: BT Home Hub 5 - problems accessing some websites and cant update/download apps.

Go to solution

Hi - just got to this bit.

Could you please explain in easy step by step instructions how to do this...I'm a real techno idiot and not sure what you're talking about to be honest...

i'm assuming it's in the settings for the wifi but then where do I go? 

Any help would be greatly received and hugely appreciated. 

0 Ratings
sswf224
Beginner
Message 22 of 55

Re: BT Home Hub 5 - problems accessing some websites and cant update/download apps.

Go to solution
Hi before u phone BT try changing your DNS server to 8.8.8.8
0 Ratings
Rwchughes
Beginner
Message 23 of 55

Go to solution

If only I knew how to do that! 

At at a guess does it go like this...

open settings

find wifi - click info

overtype the 192.168.1.254 showing in the DNS line with 8.8.8.8

does that seem right? 

0 Ratings
Rwchughes
Beginner
Message 24 of 55

Go to solution

Well that was easy - why the hell didn't BT know that we need to do that - still going to phone and find out some answers if I can.

Many thanks for the help I really appreciate it. 

0 Ratings
Rwchughes
Beginner
Message 25 of 55

Go to solution

Anyone know how to change this DNS on the actual PC that is connect by wire and also a laptop which is on wifi?

Sorry to be a pain, I'm not very technically gifted.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 55

Go to solution

Navigate to your network card (pc) or wireless adaptor (laptop) in control panel then right click and select properties. in the box that opens, scroll down to Internet Protocol v4, highlight and click properties. In the box that opens, select 'use the following DNS server addresses' enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

0 Ratings
RugbyAl
Message 27 of 55

Go to solution

Same problem in the Rugby area (Dunchurch). Yet I can access the app store using our next door neighbour's BT infinity! Changing the DNS just stops all internet access. BT call centre in India was utterly useless. Tried all the options mentioned here

Any other good ideas?

This must be a BT issue as the app store works via any other route.

Help!

0 Ratings
herindoors
Beginner
Message 28 of 55

Go to solution

I'm totally technically challenged so delighted to find this thread - I too am in Rugby (Cawston) & have been unable to get any of my apple devices to connect to itunes or app store using my HH5, only really noticed it since the bank holiday weekend, which ties in with the dates in this thread.

I can connect to the app store & itunes if I use BT Wifi FON whilst at home (so presumably using the "secure but for other BT members" portion of my HH5 that any BT Broadband customer could do), 3G, or out & about using what ever Wifi I can connect to (so mainly BT, presumaby business as opposed to residential, or other well known providers!).  But can't get the blinking HH5, using my proper SSID, to get me on those apple sites (states it's unable to get a secure connection) :-(

I'm also experiencing an intermittent slow connection when trying to access websites (doesn't seem to be a particular site either).

I have the hub set up with two seperate SSIDs.

Tried the following - 

BT call centre (1st attempt, line checks clear so said they'd send a new HH5, 2nd attempt sent me to my witts end - they now claim to be monitoring my lines performance and doing some more checks & will call me back Monday evening, can't wait!)

BT sent me a new HH5, unsurprisingly this has made no difference

Apple tried all sorts (including DNS 8.8.8.8) but came to the same conclusion as me - there's something wrong with the line/network....

Today out of sheer desperation I took my Mac to a friends (lives round the corner) who also has BT Infinity & a relatively new HH5 to eliminate my devices, once I connected via ethernet the mac went straight in to itunes & the app store & I was able to download (!) - only difference being they are a business customer....so I am now wondering if BT have done something that is affecting residential customers in the Rugby area...

When anyone else has managed to get on to app store / itunes using a friends / neighbour's connection do they know if that customer is with BT on a residential or business basis (I suppose if you connected via BT Fon it makes no difference, more a question for those using the SSID or ethernet)??

Other than the DNS 8.8.8.8 work around has anyone managed to make any progress with BT on sorting a fix to this issue?

0 Ratings
Tinytim
Beginner
Message 29 of 55

Go to solution
  • Phew!  I opened a new thread regarding the same issue but I have a HUB 3.  Apps grey blocks where images should be on iPad and iPhone but works through 3G.  Only difference is from other issues on this thread I have 2 NOW TV boxes connected to 2 TVs and again the images where the movies icons are, they are grey and unable to play movies.  It has been like this for almost 3 weeks.  Based in South Leicestershire, so not far from Rugby!!

Other issues have been

* unable to get email through iPad (but I did upload the latest IOS during the first few days when I know now there was a "hardware" problem which BT fixed 29th August).  I have since reset my iPad and reinstalled everything from last saved.

* Facebook - some videos unable to upload

* daily mail app on a nexus device unable to update daily.  Last update was 22nd August.

I'M USING CAPITALS HERE AS I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT!!  AS ALSO SUGGESTED HERE AS WELL AS MY THREAD  I RESET MY DNS ON IPAD AND IPHONE TO 8.8.8.8 and the grey images issue has been resolved and I receive my emails now.  and can upload apps from App Store.

The NOW TV box issue is still to be resolved!  In all my calls to BT did they suggest changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 until they resolve the issue..NO!  They suggested turning devices on/off, new HUB 3 sent (yes I know not a new HUB 5 either) and this was the same.  The last trouble shooting session the help desk took over my computer remotely and changed some settings on the HUB (not sure what, as she didn't say and was flicking around so fast I didn't catch it, and completely messed up!  When she hung up on me (1 hour) and said to try this and they would call back the next day, I tried my iPad and iPhone and was completely blocked out!  Help desk....not so helpful!  I plugged my other HUB in and this is when I asked the forum for help!  Oh and BT have not called back yet either.

BT are you seeing a picture here?  It's not our devices, HUBS or operators it appears to be your server!

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 30 of 55

Go to solution

Good Morning everyone,

I would like to welcome our newest members to our community Smiley Happy  I am very sorry for the problems you guys are having with connecting to some websites.

BT are currently investigating Infinity issues in the Rugby area.  This has been included in our service status page which can viewed by clicking on this link, Service Status - Rugby Area.  The date on the status states that this issue has had an impact since the 29/08/2015 so that coincides with what you folks have written here.  

I don't have any further updates over an beyond what is written on our status page Smiley Sad.  This issue is still under investigation and the latest updates will be made available via the link I have included.

Fingers crossed the problem is identified and fixed ASAP.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings