Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wej20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Home Hub 5, wifi dropping out regularly

Hi, 

Our Wifi is regularly drops out but only for a few seconds or sometimes 5 minutes, this will happen sometimes a couple of times an hour but other times we'll have a stretch of half a day where it is consistent and wont drop out. Any idea what might be causing this?

Cheers,

Will

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
andy9
Beginner
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Home Hub 5, wifi dropping out regularly

Same issue, drops out for any amount of time during the day or night.  Had BT check the line from their base (how they do this, no idea).  BT reported a fault with the hub.  Sent me a new Hub, connected it up, fitted new line from socket to hub.  Fitted new filter.  Still dropping out, Not Happy.Reported to BT for the third time, response "there is a fault that maybe within your house we can send an engineer out at a cost if the fault is within your property".

OK engineer arrives and guess what? No fault within the house, engineer looks at the box around the corner, there for over an hour, donsnt inform me of any issues just goes away.  after 3 days the speed goes up, oh yes its fixed.

No its not, cus yet again its dropping out when it feels like it.  had enough may change provider. 

0 Ratings
wej20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

That sucks, I don't mind replacing the hub with a 3rd party router but don't want to shell out for one if that's not going to fix the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

@wej20 wrote:

That sucks, I don't mind replacing the hub with a 3rd party router but don't want to shell out for one if that's not going to fix the problem.

This one is very popular, and reliable.

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL about £67

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html#specifications

If you only want single band wireless, then this one.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 for about £40 or less.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

They both work will all BT services, including BT YouView.

0 Ratings
andy9
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

BT did send me the hub 6 free of charge.

wej20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for the recommendations Keith, any idea if the Home Hub 5 is causing the problem? or is it something on the line?

When it isn't dropping, we get a fairly good speed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@wej20 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations Keith, any idea if the Home Hub 5 is causing the problem? or is it something on the line?

When it isn't dropping, we get a fairly good speed.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Do you see the problem on Ethernet connected devices as well?

Do the lights on the home hub change colour when you get the dropouts?

andy9
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Thanks for the info, but we do not have a house phone.

Also on ethernt P.C.

Lights do change colour, think its orange or green flashing.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

You really need to have a cheap corded phone about £5/10 as it is the first basic check when you have problems. Noise on your line will cause all sorts of problems with your broadband 

checking for line noise from the test socket will eliminate problem being in your home and save you being charged £85 for engineer callout

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
wej20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Line was quiet when I tested.

No colour change on the light when it drops, stays blue. 

Don't have any devices regularly connected via ethernet but when I connected my laptop seemed to work OK.

0 Ratings