Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benjamin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT Home Hub 5 with TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router

Go to solution

Hi,

We are working on getting our business set up and I am going to be installing access points in to two accommodations. I have bought the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router (which is specifically designed for two incoming ISP WAN connections) and we also have a BT Openreach Modem with the DSL coming in and connecting using the Ethernet to the BT Home Hub 5, the TP-LINK router detects that the Home Hub 5 is connected to it and working, but it is not giving out separate Internet to the devices from the WAN of the TP-LINK router.

I use this 'LAN to WAN casacading' method which will hopefully help to give out Internet from the Home Hub 5 -> TP-Link router -> Wired devices. However as discovered that it is giving out Internet by 'LAN to LAN casacading'. Unfortunately, at the moment, TP-LINK router does not give out a separate Internet connection from the Home Hub 5. But with the Modem, it does have two LAN Ethernet ports (LAN2 port is disabled and can't enable), but the moment the BT Modem is currently connected from the DSL to LAN1 Ethernet port to the Home Hub 5 and it works.

QUESTIONS

Question 1: Do you think the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router is not specifically designed for this type of connection as it is designed for two ISP connections to the wired devices?

Question 2: Do you think the most causes of this is something to do with the blocking from the Home Hub 5 and not creating a connection on to the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router?

Question 3: Would the LAN to WAN cascading work from the Home Hub 5 to the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router?

Question 4: Is it beneficial to unlock the BT Openreach Modem to have LAN2 enabled for the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router instead of connecting from the Home Hub 5?

With lots of help and support would be much appreciated! I need a solution ASAP!

Best regards,

Ben

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Home Hub 5 with TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router

Go to solution

I think the majority of your problems are being caused by using the Hub between the TP-Link and the modem.  The hub is using NAT and DHCP so the TP-Link router is sitting inside the LAN.

Connect the TP-Link directly to the OR modem.  Unless I'm mistaken the load balancing is intended to be used with two separate connections to the ISP.  IE: 2 lines + 2 modems and balances the load between the two connections.

The TP-Link when connected to the OR modem will receive it's WAN IP address(s), assuming it supports IPv6 correctly.  Unlocking the modem to use LAN 2 port will make no difference, you still only have one connection (line) going to the ISP.

0 Ratings
Benjamin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Hi Liam,

Thank you for your reply. You are correct with the connections, but would it be possible to get the BT Modem (using LAN1) connected to a switch to distribute out the connections rather than unlocking the modem to enable LAN2?

I am also looking at TP-Link VPN router (via it's emulator as demostration) which looks to me that it automatically fetches the information from the BT Home Hub 5 and not having to mess about with the load balance broadband router just so it acts like a proper router without the need of having two ISP connections and just only have one WAN connection from the Home Hub 5.

Link to TP-LINK's VPN router emulator demostration: http://static.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TL-ER6120(UN)/userRpm/Index.htm

Getting another modem which can be configurable (maybe not from BT Openreach) might be solution backup if I can't get everything to figure out if possible with it's WAN connections.

If I can't completely get everything to work... then the load balance broadband router will have to treat as an incoming LAN and out to LAN connection.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

I don't think that's the solution either.  The modem will act as a 'pass-through' for the router so the switch would not do what you want.  The router then handles NAT (for IPv4),   forget the hub, any hub, they will only NAT the IPv4 and pass through a single /64 IPv6 subnet to the LAN you need to remember the Hubs are severely limited in what they can be configured to do, so just connect the proper router to the modem.  You would be looking for the router to have individually configurable ports to delegate 2 or more subnets, assuming I have understood what it is you are trying to do.

With that type of router you can have a multi-port switch for each subnet to handle multiple devices.  Having 2 routers in the time of IPv4 only was a security boost, the first used NAT and the second stood in front of what was effectively a second NAT subnet but that had some drawbacks though.

For what you are doing just use the TP-Link and put the hub back in it's box, it will only break things if put in the 'middle'.

A 'proper' modem is just that, it passes the connection through, unaltered to the router, if it's configurable then it's a router as well, like the Netgear DM200 and you would be back to square one 2 routers, NAT, and other issues.  Stick with a modem and a single router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Without fully knowing what you are wanting to achieve with your set up are you possibly over thinking this.

If you are only wanting to supply a wireless connection to the accommodation units could you not run Ethernet to each unit and then install a wireless access point in each of them.

This would however mean that you would all be on the same network which might not be what you want.

Alternatively depending how close you can site your router to the accommodation units you could buy a VDSL Modem/router that allows wireless guest access. This would obviously give the accomodation units a wireless connection that is separated from your private network.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Benjamin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi Liam,

Thank you again for your reply. I understand what you are saying. I do have a multi-port switch which is used to function for our network and not the accommodation, I would like to have the accommodation to have it's own network and not having to share with our private network. Saying that I could feel worried if someone would be using our network by seeing our devices and printers, and even IP addresses.

The reason I have bought the TP-Link Load Balance Broadband Router is used with it's configurable setting to separate the network, but I don't think it would work like that and it just still brings the connection through with our network (via LAN to LAN procedure). I have been looking online for some solutions of LAN to WAN cascading for the BT Home Hub 5 (or for any main router) and it's secondary router, but it looks hard for what I need to be doing because every single different router has different settings.

Anyways, I will have to use like what you said is to use the multi-port switch to bring the connections through or I could cascade with LAN to LAN via Home Hub 5 through to the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router and it works, but still appears with our network which is a problem for me - this could cause risks if someone would be able to see devices, IP addresses and etc.

0 Ratings
Benjamin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Hi gg30340,

Thank you for your reply. We are going to have Ethernet cables connected to the accommodations to deliver connections to the Access Points.

I understand what you are talking about having a VDSL Modem/router, but the accommodation needs to be wired directly via Access Points instead of having a weaker wireless signal through a thick wall of a server room. Access Points will remain in the accommodation to require better signals for the guests.

Just trying to figure out how to get "LAN to WAN cascading from router to router".

I think it might be likely to be on the same network, but just worried about personal information on our network. 

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

To separate the networks you can do as gg30340 has suggested, use wireless guest access.  The alternative is a wired connection to each location terminating in an RJ45 socket if you want wired connections.  Most good routers should have the ability to separate at least one LAN port for Guest Access in essence giving you a subnet separate from your private LAN with it's own IP address range.  Then a switch can feed ethernet to each remote location.  The simplest way would be wireless Guest Access as mentioned above, just with repeaters in each location.  Depends on how you want to do it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

The load-balancing router is a complete red herring and totally unnecessary for what you want to achieve. All you need to do is connect the WAN port of your Hub to the Openreach modem as normal which will give you a 192.168.1.XXX subnet. Then just connect a LAN port of the hub to the WAN port of another router. Configure the second router's LAN as a 192.168.2.XXX subnet. You will be double natting, but if you are not intending to do anything in the way of port forwarding it won't be a problem.

0 Ratings
Benjamin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

A message to Liam and licquorice,

Liam:

I know what gg303040 has said about Guest Networks, but I don't its necessary for the need of Guest networks as the Access Points has it's own built-in Guest network, but still gives out our private network information. By the way my BT Home Hub 5 doesn't do Guest network either (I wish it could). But as being on a Guest network is always the same thing as connecting through a normal network.

By the way, I have switched off the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router as I have given up using it becuase it will never work for what I needed and instead this VPN router might do the job, but I am not sure if it would end up the same problem just like I am talking now.

Have a look: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-4909_TL-ER6020.html

licquorice:

I know that TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router doesn't listen to what I wanted to do with it. By the way, I have connected the WAN port from the BT Openreach Modem to the BT Home Hub 5, that works fine. Like what you said about binding the two connections of different router's IPs so they act away from each other.

I didn't get far as port forwarding, so I have given up using TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router as it started to annoy me with it, so I have finally switched it off and I might sell it on eBay and possibly get something which will help better for the connection, maybe a VPN router (would this help the connection?).

This is what I might have to get to make it work: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-4909_TL-ER6020.html

0 Ratings