Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 16

Re: BT Home Hub 5 with TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router

Go to solution

The reason I mentioned buying a  VDSL Modem/router was because the HH5 does not do a guest network.

If you connect the wireless access points by Ethernet to the router it will allow access to the private network, that was why I said that, and to avoid it you would need to connect directly to your "new" VDSL Modem/router via the wireless guest network.

If you want to connect via Ethernet or have the wireless access points connected via Ethernet you will have to find a router that will allow setting up a VLan that your guests can connect to. I believe the more expensive Netgear routers can do that.

0 Ratings
Benjamin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

H'mm okay, I will try that then as a experiment, it might solve problems with VPN which I posted on to a different post: https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Setting-up-VPN-on-BT-Home-Hub-5/m-p/1711470/high...

Save money on getting a seperate VPN router just for the access points. But just saying about the Home Hub 5 is that I have received a new Home Hub 5 a few weeks ago (as a replacement from BT in warranty) as my old Home Hub 5 has a wireless fault (it was okay for about a year).

0 Ratings
Benjamin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution
By the way, do you recommend a VDSL Modem/router? A TP-Link one or something. Just let me know and I will check it out.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

I never mentioned VPN. I said VLan which is a Virtual Local Area Network. ie a separate network from your private one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN

If you do an Internet search you will find more information.

This might help you.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/vlans

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Benjamin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

Hi gg303040,

Thank you for your information you have provided to me. I have found out this was quite interesting. So I know from you now that VLAN can be enabled by getting a VDSL Modem/router which does have Guest access enabled. On the otherside of things which I can port forward more easily rather than using the Home Hub 5's port forwarding which looked terrible and limited of configuration.

Anyway this might be the router I might be getting, just to go in a small server room next to the office, might do a handy job than the Home Hub 5, here is the link to what I might be getting: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html

But I will keep on looking for some better routers if I change my mind before purchasing. 🙂

0 Ratings
Benjamin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

Hello again,

I have found a solution which will close this forum thread. I had spoken to the TP-LINK customer support for the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router. They give me this information below and I have simplified it below for everybody who addresses this problem will have a clear solution to work with. This solution will have a series of steps listed below.

1. Change the IP address of the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router to 192.168.0.1

2. Reboot the router by unplugging and plugging it back in

3. Once the router is switched back on, you must do the following (only works on a Windows computer): Go and open up     the Network and Sharing Center by right clicking on the network icon on the bottom right corner of your screen > On       your left pane, click on Change adapter settings > Find your Ethernet connection and then go to Properties > Select on     Use the following DNS addresses > Insert the numbers in the Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1 > Click OK twice >         Close the master window

4. Go to your browser and type in http://192.168.0.1/

5. It will now ask you for the router's username and password which is: admin/admin

6. Log in and check the connection, if the connection is up and running - then your connected to the Internet from the         main ISP or from router to router.

If you are having any other problems, please contact TP-LINK customer support.

In other words... I have finally bought the right router for what I need, but to be mistaken - I have bought the wrong one which is the TP-LINK TD-W8980 and which I should be getting is the TP-LINK TD-W9980 for it's better connections and I was having problems with the TP-LINK TD-W8980 and getting it to connect as we have BT Infinity. I know what I am doing, but everyone mostly get mistakes in buying stuff.. so I do need to bare that in my mind. But having 3rd party router allows you to configure more than what the Home Hub 5 did.

Many thanks,

Ben

0 Ratings