cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
torcrayth
Message 1 of 4

BT Home Hub 6.0a - connected items keep dropping WiFi link to it

Morning all.

I have done a search before posting this but the vast majority of the posts were last year and I didn’t really think that there had been any resolution to any of them.

Around April this year I upgraded my BT internet and part of that was getting a Home Hub 6.0a and as time has gone on our laptop kept getting disconnected more and more frequently until it has now reached the point that in the space of an evenings use, say 4 hours, it will drop its Wi-Fi connection to the hub perhaps up to 5/6 times in an hour or more.

Obviously this isn’t acceptable.

At first we thought it was perhaps the laptop as it was just over 4 years old but then we started to notice that other devices were also dropping their Wi-Fi connection to the hub and then last night I had to use our laptop at a relative’s house and the whole time we were there it didn’t drop the connection once to their older BT Home Hub.

So this must mean there is something wrong with our hub.

Can anyone who has successfully resolved this issue with their hub please let us know how it was done.

Many thanks

D

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Home Hub 6.0a - connected items keep dropping WiFi link to it

The best fix is to spend about £30 on a third party VDSL Modem/router and bin the Smarthub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Apart from changing wireless channels, there is not much you can do. The home hub 6 only has access to three out of 13 wireless channels, so if they are congested, it will try to find the best one of those three channels. It will cause a disconnection when it does.

If you are in a built up area, with lots of other wireless routers, then those three channels are going to be in use. You could try 5GHz connections, if you devices will support it.

My daughter had the same issue, and I resolved it by changing her router to a third party one costing about £40. This has the ability to select only one of the 13 wireless channels available.

Her house has about 35 different devices, and they were all suffering from disconnections before. The home hub seems to have issues with that many devices.

See what other forum members suggest. I assume Ethernet connected devices are fine?

I see @gg30340 has probaby suggested the same device, its about £36 at the moment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

what have you tried to solve the problem?

turn of smart setup?  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

split the wireless networks?http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

changed the wireless mode from 1 to either 2 or 3?

selected a channel manually rather than leave on auto?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings