cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

BT Home Hub 6, should I go for it or stick with home hub 5

Just a quick question, I currently use an unlocked BT Openreach modem with my Home Hub 5, everything works fine.

I have the option of receiving a Home Hub 6 and only paying £9.99 delivery (the Home hub 5 is mine a I purchased this from BT).

Would I still be able to use the Home Hub 6 just for the wifi part, still using the openreach modem and would the Home Hub 6 give a better wifi signal?

At the moment the hub 5 works spot on, but it would be nice to get a stronger signal to my android TV downstairs, but as it stands, it shows 3 and sometimes 4 out of 5 which is maximum. If you have an android TV you'll know what I mean with the image it shows you.

The noise margin has recently lowered too over the last few weeks from 6 to 3.3 giving a slight speed increase although I think that is to do with the modem rather than router.

If it aint broke don't fix it comes to mind and I have read some reports where people have mentioned the home hub 6 is not as good, where as some say its better. There seems to be less channels to pick from too with the 6.

Is it worth giving it a try as it's only going to cost me £9.99 delivery, or am I better off sticking with the home hub 5. If I do see a stronger signal that would be a bonus I suppose, but I don't want to make things worse.

Any advice appreciated, cheers 🙂

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Home Hub 6, should I go for it or stick with home hub 5

Stick with what you have if it works.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Cheers Webby, from past experience as you know from helping me out in the past I think it may be best 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If it ain't broke don't fix it would be my advice but if you are prepared to take a punt for £9.99 you could try the HH6 to see how you get on. You can always go back to your present set up and use the HH6 as a throwing object if it doesn't work out better. 

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Thanks.

I'd rang BT options this evening just enquiring about the hub 6 and they told me there was an offer on my account.

I was in contract until December 2018 as last time I recontracted they forced me into a 2 year one which was more than I had been paying monthly previously, but it was cheaper than recontracting for a year. They mentioned I could take out a new year contract today and although the Infinity 2 and phone package was slightly more a month before a discount, rather than my current £8 discount per month, they were giving £12 a month, so total to pay is now 99p less each month lmao

Anyway I thought I may as well save a little bit and my new yearly contract will run out September 2018 rather than late December 2018 now. It was the bloke who mentioned the hub 6 on the end of the phone, said the wi fi signal is stronger. I had been thinking of getting my master socket moved from upstairs to downstairs, but that would cost £130, then I would need an extension to the phone upstairs, so a costly job going down that route.

I'll ring tomorrow and tell them not to send the hub 6, save me £9.99 and stick with what I have, then see what options are out there next year, probably GFast by then.

The hub when I refresh asking it to pick the best options, it puts me on channel 6 for 2.4 and 48 for 5ghz, I could have a play with the 5ghz band to see if any of those improve things slightly. I'm not sure what the higher ones are mind you, 108 etc. I have split the bands, smart thing turned off etc

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Contrary to popular belief the hubs don't pick the best channel for you.

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the replies above.

Having had a play for a few days with different channels, I've now improved things no end. Checking the home network settings in the BT Home hub manager, I can see my Android TV's connection speed has now doubled.

I cancelled the new contract I opted for last Thursday on Friday. They couldn't keep the contract and just not send out the Hub 6, said I had to cancel and then if I want to opt for the same again, I can ring back in a weeks time.

To my surprise, even though the cancellation request was done at BT's end (should complete today as they told me 48 hours), the modem which I cancelled was delivered today, so I refused it and its being sent back with Royal Mail.

Rang BT customer services and also billing, looks like the modem was sent out Friday before the cancellation request went through 😞  Hopefully I will not be charged £9.99 delivery as they said I wouldnt be, but if so, I can always ring billing and ask for it to be refunded since BT will get the hub 6 back at their depot soon enough.

Anyone else thinking of upgrading to the Hub 6 from either a 4 or 5, play around with the wireless channels as suggested above to me and you will notice a difference all being well.

Cheers 🙂

0 Ratings