Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
That-Guy
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Home Hub + Apple Airport Express

I have seen so many posts around the internet about the home hub not playing nice with the Apple Airport Express but hoping things have got better over time.

Basically I have the BT Home Hub 3 and noticed that the Airprint and AirPlay features on my Mac and Apple TV do not work with the Home Hub 3, it seems to be a common problem with the Home Hub according to other posts.

To fix this what I am looking at doing is purchasing an Apple Airport Express to give me AirPlay/AirPrint capabilities in my home.

I was looking at setting it up in the following way:

• Disable Wireless on BT Home Hub
  • Connect AirPort Express to Home Hub via Cable
  • Connect all my tech to the Airport Express Wireless

Can anyone confirm if this kind of setup will work? or anyone have this setup running?

Thanks in Advance Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
LemonEric
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Home Hub + Apple Airport Express

I actually got an express yesterday to replace my homehub then tried to wirelessly extend my wifi using the crappy hub. couldnt do it wirelessly but could do it with the hub connected to the express via ethernet. So in reply to your question if your doing it with the homhub connected to the express through an ethernet cable then yes it will work. Wirelessly though it wont I think.

well its kind of an answer anyway. I'm gonna mess around with the express some more later I can test it for you to see if express can be connected up to the hub and work as an airplay device. 

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 3 of 5

I use an additional non-apple AP which works fine as you described. You just want the HH3 to enable DHCP etc so disable any of these on the Airport.

I'm guessing you must have a HH3a?

0 Ratings
That-Guy
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Hi thanks for the replies, yes its a Home Hub 3.

I just have a couple more questions:

• Can I plug the Airport into any Ethernet Port on the Home Hub?
  • Do I plug the other end of the Ethernet into the WAN or LAN port of the Airport?
  • When using the AirPort utility to set it up when option do I select? New Network? (as wifi will be off on Home Hub)
  • With the setup I can just connect all my devices to the AirPort Wirelessly and AirPlay etc should work?

Sorry for all the questions but even the AirPort Express is a huge expense for me so want to make sure I can set it up correctly.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 5 of 5

Try the GigE port first and if it doesn't work well use one of the 100mb ones. It shouldn't be an issue using 100mbit.

Plug into the LAN port.

I can't help with the setup but try an Apple specific forum or someone else might be able to help here.

0 Ratings