Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

BT Home Hub and Sky Q problem

Go to solution

I randomly have issues getting my iPhone & iPad to communicate to my Sky Q box through my BT Home Hub 6.

In all instances the devices themselves seem to be connected to the Home Hub successfully they just will not communicate with each other through it.

The usual re-booting of devices usually sorts this out until it happens again, usually about once a week.

I have tried the Sky Community Forum and after a few exchanges they have suggested this may be a problem with the BT Home Hub.

Any thoughts anyone?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Home Hub and Sky Q problem

Go to solution

Unless sky have changed it the sky q box's only work as repeaters if they are connected via a sky q router.

I got this from the expert reviews website.............

"1. Connect your main box
Pull out the tab on the Sky Q box and plug an Ethernet cable into this, then run the other end of the cable into your router (Sky Q Hub or otherwise). Go to Settings, Setup, Network, Advanced Settings and select the ‘Connect to your router using a wired connection’ option. If you have a Sky Q Hub, you’ll be asked if you want to use your box as a Wi-Fi hotspot. I recommend that you select Yes, unless you have a really good reason not to. If you don’t have a Sky Q Hub, your box’s wireless connection will be disconnected."

We dont have sky q and all the people i know who do use skys own bb service via the q router so i have not had a chance to test if this has since changed but ive not seen any posts to this effect on either sky user or skys own forums however i would say i had a issue like this with our skyhd box where the android app would randomly loose connection, i sorted that out by assigning a static ip via the smarthub then told the sky box to only use that address basicly bypassing the dchp server.

0 Ratings
VeteranISPUser
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

@Alan_in_Hemelwrote:

I randomly have issues getting my iPhone & iPad to communicate to my Sky Q box through my BT Home Hub 6.

In all instances the devices themselves seem to be connected to the Home Hub successfully they just will not communicate with each other through it.

The usual re-booting of devices usually sorts this out until it happens again, usually about once a week.

I have tried the Sky Community Forum and after a few exchanges they have suggested this may be a problem with the BT Home Hub.

Any thoughts anyone?

Hi @Alan_in_Hemel   I know it doesn’t help you but I have never had any problems with the Sky Q App connecting to my Sky Q box through both the Smart Hub and Smart Hub 2 using my iPhone XS, 6S and iPad Pro 12.1.4. Currently using the Smart Hub (HH6). 

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Apologies for the delay it took me a while to get this set up.  I have used TP Link Ethernet extenders to link my BT Home Hub upstairs to the Sky Q box downstairs. Since then I have had no issues.

0 Ratings