cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silkuswormus
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Home Hub not issuing IP / Windows 10 Issue

Ok, really strange problem. Not sure which version of the homehub I have but guessing it's the latest as I got it less than 3 months ago. I've been unable to fix this **bleep** problem and I don't want to have to reinstall my OS's.

Currently have fibre, everything's been fine until I updated to Windows 10. Now, I have a dual boot system, intially with Win 7 which worked absolutly fine until the update. Then I noticed that unless I switched the PC off complete, I couldn't log off of one build and log back with the other build straght away otherwise it wouldn't get an IP from DHCP. Switching the power off and back on again, and it was fine.

Ok, so on the surface, looks like a Windows 10 issue, and maybe it still is, but I have another router spare (Netgear N600), plugged it in and bang, IP address straght away. Now I've found a lot of references to this kind of issue on the net and most havent been able to fix without reinstalling. The actual error within Windows is;

"one or more network protocols are missing" or similar....but like I say, plug the Netgear in and DHCP works absolutly fine. I can also tether my Android via USB and hook onto the Wireless with no problems so I'm assuming here the TCP/IP stack is valid as is my hardware.

I have reset the TCP stack, Winsock, disabled IPv6, updated the NIC drivers, reinstall the NIC drivers 3 times at least, flushed DNS but still the same issue.  

Even stranger still was that up until 4 days it's all completely stopped working, both builds will now not get an IP via DHCP even from cold boot. Setting a static ip also doesnt work which makes no sense. Even if I set the IP manually I can't ping the gateway, the router is refusing to talk back. Nothing has changed my end, and even if it had it could've have simultaneiously on both builds. Incidentally there were no recent Windows updates.

Have tried deleting the device within the router and connecting back up again and also hard rebooted and even cleared the config on the router back to factory settings. Nothing is working. 

Now my first thought was my hardware, however in addition to this, I have a seperate Win 10 HP media centre box which has also stopped receiving a valid IP. This is a completely different NIC and hardware platform and again, no updates were performed. In fact, the only device working on ethernet now is my BT set top box and an IP camera which are both working ok...

I was thinking to put a new PCIE NIC card in but tbh I'm not confident it's going to make any difference.

Are there any firmware updates due, or was there one recently pushed out to the BT homehubs?

My next step this evening is to set up the Netgear as an access point and use that as a DHCP server but I shouldn't have to be doing this. My thought here is there's some major incompatibility between Win 10 and BT homehubs which has been exagerated with the dual boot system.

Is the router still binding the MAC to the IP and refusing to update? Is it an ARP cache problem, and if so shouldn't that have cleared when I reset the router back to factory?

I'm not a networking expert so any suggestions welcome as long as it doesn't involve reinstalling Windows as I just spent 2 months configuing them!

thanks

Anthony

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Home Hub not issuing IP / Windows 10 Issue

There are many using windows 10 here and home hubs all with no problems like yours
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Assuming it is not a conflict with the networking names that you have given your devices which I suspect it won't be because they connect OK to the Netgear, if it is happening on more than one device, your dual boot computer and your HP media centre, it would tend to point to a faulty Homehub rather than your devices being the problem.

Have you tried connecting with only one device and the rest all disconnected from your network to see what happens. If it is OK, connect the devices one at a time until they are all connected. Before doing that I would do a factory reset of the Homehub once all the devices are disconnected.

0 Ratings
silkuswormus
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

I should be more specific, naturally there are users with Windows 10 and Homehubs, but are there any out there with dual boot Windows 10 systems? Like I say, I had no issues with Windows 7 for 3 years or so (Homehub 4)

Ok so, I got a new router sent out from BT, and it works but - I'm getting exactly the same as the original issue I started with several months ago, let me put this as an example...

1; Cold boot  into OS 1 - Gets IP
2: Reset, boot into OS 2 - No IP
3: Reset, boot into OS 2 - Gets IP
4: Reset, boot AGAIN into OS 2 - Get IP
5: Reset, boot back into OS 1 - No IP
6: Reset, boot into OS 1 - Get IP

etc etc 

Now I had this for 4 months or so, until the router finally gave up issueing IP's, which leads me to believe some kind of cache (ARP?) is filling up. Factory resetting I would add doesn't seem to actually clear ALL the settings in my opinion.

This is leading me to believe that after a certain amount of time I'm going to end up with a useless router again. Now remember that other devices (set top boxes etc) are eventually affected by this (but not at the moment).

So....has anyone else got dual boot Win 10????? Can't find anything on the net about this and my non-BT router (Netgear) won't pick up the **bleep** ADSL signal, (which is what I'd prefer to use anyway), even though I've copied the VCI/modulation settings from BT themselves.

ARGHGHHHH!!!!

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

I'm using a dual boot PC with windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and haven't seen any problems. I use it on both wired and wireless.

You said "which leads me to believe some kind of cache (ARP?) is filling up."

That should not be the case. The ARP cache on a router is temporary and an entry will be cleared after a period of inactivity of the specific IP.

When the PC isn't given an IP address, have you tried ipconfig /renew from the command prompt? Does it get an address then?

If you want to use the Netgear, you should be able to connect it to one of the LAN ports on the HH, disable DHCP, WiFi etc., on the HH and enable those services on the Netgear. You just need to remember that the Home hub will still be the default gateway, so if you use another DHCP server ensure the "router" IP address is set to 192.168.1.254, and not the IP address you assign to the Netgear.

Regards

0 Ratings
silkuswormus
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Yep, and I was using Win 7 sucessfully for years dual boot, but haven't found anyone with two Windows 10 systems as of yet! The fact it's Win 8.1 probably makes all the difference.

No, renewing does nothing....you can see from my first post everything I've done. You can't do much with a 169.... IP.

I'm going to have to go down the route of using the Netgear for DHCP which isn't a bad thing but I would still like to know what on earth is going on and why only Win10 is affected.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

Why are you using DHCP if it's causing a problem?

Manually assigning a fixed IP address to each device isn't difficult & might simply overcome your problem.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 10

@silkuswormus

As has been mentioned set static IP in both Win 7 and 10.

I dual boot Win 7 & 10 here with no issues.  Same PC name and IP for both.

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 9 of 10

@Liam_ This thread is nearly a year old 😄

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 10 of 10

@Checked2013

Yep, noticed that after posting.  No idea why it popped up at the top of the list when the Connected-Devices page was refreshed.  Most odd.:smileyhappy:

0 Ratings