cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve_171
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

BT Home Hubs & P2P Apps

If someone connects to the BTWifi-with-fon connection provided by my BT Home Hub, would they be able to use a P2P such as utorrent and share copyrighted material ? This apprently, has been done quite recently on the IP registered to my address but I havnt used utorrent for many years. My wifi connection is password protected but the BTWifi Fon connection is open to all other BT users, could someone passing have connected to this and run a P2P app and could this be why it's registered to my IP ?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Home Hubs & P2P Apps

Yes anybody connecting to BTWifi could use torrents.

They can do anything that you can do on a "normal" broadband connection.

It however would not be recorded against your home network. It would be shown that it was a BTWifi connection and this could only be made by a person using a BTID or BT primary email address which can if required be traced back to the owner.

What makes you think that there has been copyrighted material downloaded to your IP address. Is it by any chance an email informing you that this has taken place?

0 Ratings
Steve_171
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Home Hubs & P2P Apps

Many thanks for replying.
I received an email from BT telling telling me P2P was used at my IP for sharing a copyrighted album.
My first thought was BTWifi, but given your information, that's now unlikely. Some of my daughters friends have access to my wifi so it may, or may not be associated with one of them.
0 Ratings