cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedRuby27
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT HomeHub3 is incompatible with DECT phones???

The situation currently is that whenever I have my pc on, EVEN before I connect to the net & I make an outgoing phone call at the same time, the BB blue light on the HomeHub3 begins to flash after ten secs.  It restores itself until the next time. 

The Home Hub Manager window kicks in asking me to go through the usual connectivity issue checks.  I reported the fault on 1/6/2012.

After BT carried out many checks on my phone line and broadband status they came back with the following responses, each from a different engineer in India:

1. There is a software issue at the Exchange, they will get back to me?
  2. We need to send a BT Engineer out?
  3. Your internal wiring maybe faulty?

4. etcetra etc. You all know the drill......

NB I've had no calls from BT, I've had to do all the tracking and phoning myself to get updates. So much for support eh!

I've had this new Home Hub3 for about five weeks.  I had a BT Voyager 220V previously for five years without any issue and it worked alongside my DECT phone, which I have had for about 6 years. The only reason I had to give up my 220V was that 5 weeks ago I was experiencing BB dropping out up to 6 times in an hour.  I reported this to BT.

NNB India told me 5 weeks ago that the fault was my old router, which is no longer supported and they would send me there latest HomeHub3.

The new hub worked for about a fortnight, then ten days ago I started to get BB drop out again, but this time I noticed it was whenever I made a phone call or received one.

Out of curiosity I did some checking up on the BT Home Hub3 and it is reported on Wikipedia that this particular hub is incompatible with DECT phones (release date 28/1/2011).

When I asked BT India about this they eventuallyt admitted that the HomeHub3 is not compatible with DECT phones.  They then said to me,'you should have told us you have a DECT phone in the house??? Keh! If BT know this fact, then why don't they ask the customer this question?  More importantly, why haven't they resolved the problem by now?

BT Engineering Level 2 did finally call me today to say they were still looking into the issue, but I'm not satisfied they can resolve it. They now want to send me their Home Hub 2.0 which apparently they say, "works with a hub phone and a normal telephone which supports DECT and can be used in place of the Hub Phone"

Has anyone had a similar experience of switching on their pc, even before connecting to the internet, but finding that if you pick up the phone and wait for the dialling tone, the blue BB light on the HomeHub3 starts flashing orange within 10 secs.  This also happens if I receive a phone call whilst I am on the net?

PS I have changed the filters twice & they are the ones which came with the new hub.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT HomeHub3 is incompatible with DECT phones???

If you have a stand alone DECT phone system, then it does not matter which home hub you use, but you must put a microfilter in the lead to the phone, otherwise it will stop the broadband working when you pick up the phone.

You must have used a microfilter when you had the 220v?

See Speed and connection problems that should help you diagnose any wiring problems.

Also try connecting an additional microfilter in series with the phone, like this

twofilter.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

The "not compatible" is perhaps a bit misleading.  The earlier Home Hubs (versions 1.0 to 2.0) could talk directly to BT Home Hub phones, and many other DECT phones as well.  The Hub 3 is missing that functionality, and so in that sense is incompatible with DECT phones.

However, there's no reason why you can't have DECT phones in the same house as a Home Hub 3, provided you plug the phones' base station into the phone socket via a microfilter.

0 Ratings
Recyclotron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I have been struggling with BB dropping 6 times a day and speed dropping from 4.5Mb to 1Mb with little help from India. Putting the hub in the test socket works fine, but then reconnect the phones and the problem re-appears. I'd quite like to have broadband and a phone too, but BT don't seem to want to help me get that far.

Assuming there is an interference problem I need to get to the bottom of it. I have a Panasonic DECT phone and a mish mash of microfilters on my 3 phones. Web advice seems to be get rid of the DECT phone, or if not, then connct it with two filters in series.

A couple of questions

1) As the microfilters seem to have a major effect on performance which are the best microfilters on the market ?

2) How does the DECT base station interfere with the hub - is it a signal issue down the wire or an electromagnetic interference which can be solved by putting distance between the two devices?

3) Is there any way of physically testing a microfilter to see if it is functioning properly?

4) I know that microfilters remove noise from the phone signal, is it true that the filter also removes interference by the phone to the hub?

Any help gratefully recieved

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

I would move the panasonic base unit as far from the HH as you can - another room would be good.  If given a choice I would just get a filtered faceplate and forget about what is best filter. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Recyclotron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I eventually disconnected the DECT phone completely and unplugged it. I put the hub and a standard phone via a filter into the test socket. I got two days of continuous service, then the line went down once the next day, then OK for one day, then down three times the next day and down seventeen times the next day. Mumbai now accepts the problem is on the line. Thank goodness for the event log. In this case the DECT phone is not the culprit.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 7 of 9

I have DECT phones in tne same room as my PC and yes they could interfere with the HH. But as well as inline filters  I bought an official BT socket with filters built in -from BT you take the old one off and connect the new one. This worked. No problem now. I have HH 4. If series filters cause drop out  or slow connections it down to series resistance. which added to the internal wire resistance can cause problems. Thats why I completly rewired my cable run to my PC using cat 6 bought from Maplins . As you dont need all the conductors  I twisted them together to half the conductor resistance . Worked a treat. In the early days of outside broadcasts up till new methods were introduced transmissions back to the studio was done using " bunched pairs" at the cabinet.All this was ia the same as I did to the rewire --used 2 or more cable pairs   back to the exchange to lower the total resistance.

0 Ratings
Recyclotron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Sadly what one agent says quickly gets forgotten when the next agent talks to you. So after accepting it is a line problem, it then becomes a hub problem and I am sent a new HH3, which I fit and then ...... the line drops three times over the afternoon and ten times this morning. I call again, can you change the microfilter - done that three times, plug the hub in the test socket, been there for the last two weeks, OK we'll change your wireless channel, that will fix the problem. I hope so .....

I think it would be nice if

(a) there was a direct route into BT avoiding all the early options and messages for those with an open fault and

(b) better record keeping so that they know what has been done/asked before

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 9 of 9

If you mean India  "help" desk then I and many  others would agree. There is a 2 tier system if you want to pay for a service that will help  you with most of your  PC problems UK based. But it costs. If your plug in land line phone works okay-no cutting off etc ??  .  Then it must be related to your PC/HH Is the place you plug your power supply for the HH a wall socket-direct -no extensions-adapters.? Are any electrical equipment hear the HH.? If using LAN have you tried changing the cable? or is Wi-Fi the same.[cutting off]  Trying to narrow it down.

0 Ratings