Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Robcity64
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT HomeHub5 Wifi keeps dropping out

My Wifi keeps dropping out and re-connecting constantly... nightmare for the whole family with many devices. I've tried refreshing, call BT for help, replace homehub 5 with another one, use bt wifi extenders etc etc but still no closer to resolving. Here is the event log of the last few minutes, but I'm not IT savvy enough to understand what's going on and this log is a tiny representation of what's been happening for months... we do have peroids where the wifi works, but few and far between.

Hub errors event log 1.pngHub errors event log 2.png

Any help very much appreciated

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT HomeHub5 Wifi keeps dropping out

Have you turned off smart setup?

have you split the 2.4/5ghz networks and added a 5 to the 5ghz network SSID. You can then connect to either or both networks if device is capable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Robcity64
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Did this a while back but the 2.4Ghz still kept dropping out but not as much as the combined. I've also set the channels specifically on both the 2.4 and 5 but still had issues. Any ideas? Especially the error logs...

Here's the hub details

HomeHub Details.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

there appear a lot of lease requests probably switching between networks 

I would split the networks, add a 5 to 5ghz network and also select channels manually. Then sign in to just one of the networks probably 2.4ghz as that will cover more of the home and see if that helps. I see you must have already changed lease time from 1 day to 21

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Robcity64
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for that - I've split the network out to 2.4 and 5 as before and selected dedicated channels for each 11 and 36 respectively. See if this helps but have done this before and still had drops outs, but will monitor anyway.

We quite often have up to 10 - 12 devices logged on to the wifi pulling on the poor bandwidth we have (less that 20mb). Could this actually make it fall over not just slow down?

Yes I set the lease to the highest number of days possible and sometimes refresh/restart the whole system... bit of a pain to have to enter the wifi passwords on devices again once I've done this.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

did you add a 5 to the 5ghz SSID to identify it from 2.4ghz. Try connecting some closer to hub on 5ghz and others 2.4ghz. Assuming most can connect to both

0 Ratings
Robcity64
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Yes I have both bandwidths marked one as 2.4 and the other as 5. This morning when I woke up the 2.4GHz had dropped out completely and had to reset the hub with a hard power off/on and reset the wifi extenders. Then just a few minutes ago the 2.4 fell over again. This is the exact error log of when it happened. This is so frustrating...
Hub errors event log 3.pngand again...

Hub errors event log 4.png

0 Ratings
Robcity64
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Still have wifi disconnect and reconnect issues... getting to the point of throwing HomeHub5 in the bin and getting a a hub/router elsewhere... any suggestions. Latest event log below

Hub errors event log 5.png

0 Ratings