Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 15

BT HomeHub6 Data usage

Go to solution

Even though I'm on unlimited usage I regularly check the stats and just recently the upload and download statistics are beyond belief.

In the time between shutting down the computer at about 5:30pm yesterday and switching it on this morning at about 7:50am I'd apparently uploaded 4.1Gb and downloaded 4.2Gb. This is about 8 times what the normal usage is (upload plus download) with the upload figure an even greater factor than that. I've had 3 occurrences since the 27th August along similar lines.

The only active connected device during this time was the Humax box.

I had a look at the event log and the activity seems confined to the Humax device (3 times when the device was on standby) and a TR69 event (once at 4:43am). I understand from previous Forum queries that a TR69 is some form of update but would it cause this level of usage, and only on these 3 occurrences?

Could there be an activity taking place that isn't being picked up my the event logger?

Should I change the password key and the admin password to be on the safe side?

I'm worried that my HomeHub is being used by another party without my knowledge (I'm single, so it would not be anyone on the premises).

I'm also concerned that this level of usage may get flagged up as excessive and trigger a charge.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT HomeHub6 Data usage

Go to solution

You will not be charged for excessive usage.

You should as a matter of course change the admin password and it will do no harm to change the wireless password.

If you have a Windows 10 computer make sure that you are actually turning it off and not just going into the Hybrid or Hybernate shutdown. If it is it could be downloading updates and if you have not turned off peer to peer updates your computer will be helping Microsoft distribute Windows 10 updates.

Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

I always use the shut down option so it should be turning off. I turn the power off too and check the lights.

How do I turn off the peer to peer updating?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

It appears I had this switched off anyway so, disabling the facility entirely.

0 Ratings
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

I've been trying different things to no avail. I changed the admin password for the Hub, it had no effect. I changed the wireless key. This seemed to have an effect for a period of 11 days. I then tried changing the admin password and the wireless key at the same time. No effect.

I've had six occurrences of unusual upload/download activity since 8th September. On 4 occasions it affected both the upload and download together (approx 4 Gb for each)  On one occasion just the upload (approx 4Gb) and on one occasion just the download (again approx 4Gb).

I can't be 100% certain but when I have checked the activity has taken place after I've finished using the computer, when the only active connection is the YouView box.  Could this be causing the activity?

My Wifi is not set up as a hotspot according to the Hub. Updates from more than one place is off within the Windows settings.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

You cannot rely on the hub usage figures, only the broadband usage meter on MyBT.

The YouView box will use quite a lot of data, but if you have a BT Vision account, then this would not count against you allowance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

He is on an unlimited package.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

He is on an unlimited package.

Missed that on the first post, nothing to worry about then Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

I wouldn't say its nothing to worry about. Unexplained network useage could be nefarious. Someone using the OPs wireless or even a machine on the network that has been infected and potentially being used for all sorts of illegal things. 

Have you run a virus scanner on your machines and malware bytes/auslogics anti-malware?

0 Ratings