cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C_Blakey
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Homehub 3 Wireless Connection Debacle.

Go to solution

Firstly, a little back story if I may:

I've been a BT customer since moving back to the UK three years ago. Never, in my life, have I encountered such poor customer service.  I've decided to use this forum because If I am confronted by another "Technical Expert" in India reading the same material from a trouble-shooting guide for the fourth time, I'll scream.

I recently moved to a new-build house and, after arranging our line weeks in advance for installation a few days after we moved in, I phoned BT to check the appointment and was told the engineer would be there before lunch time. When the engineer didn't show, I rang back and was told I never had an appointment. 6 weeks later (this was the earliest an OpenReach Engineer could come around - despite there being OpenReach Engineers all over the new-build estate on a daily basis) we got the line installed. I was paying for the line rental throughout this time.  Non of my TV channels (except freeview) worked.  More phonecalls. . . 

Eventually, everything worked fine for six-or-so weeks. For the last 6 weeks, my WiFi will drop out every 5-10 seconds, intermittently all day, every day. I have done everything. And I mean everything.  I've followed all the instructions given over the phone (numerous times), manually changed the channel, moved the router, un-plugged everything alse in the house etc etc. Your self diagnostic tool won't work on my PC because I dare to have Windows 8.1 installed. I am told there is nothing you can do because BT don't guarantee WiFi connectivity.  How about you give be a new HomeHub? Something that I was entitled to when i took out a new contract (not renewed, new). 

Apparently I have to pay for a new hub because I didn't get it at the time of the installation.  I don't want to, nor do I believe I should. I was not offered any equipment upgrade under the new contract arrangements, but I should have been.  I asked to speak to a manager several times and each time, no-one has rung me back as promised.

I have reached the end of my tether.  The box is faulty.  The WiFi light extinguishes briefly everytime a device drops out and a WiFi channel analyser shows this happening.  I am told by the "Technical Expert" that they have monitored my line and it is fine.  Yes, the line is fine, my TV and PC on ethernet connections work fine, as I have told them.  the WiFi is the problem.  Most of our internet use is done through smartphones connected wirelessly.  Please, for the love of God, BT; sort your act out!

I apologise that this has turned into a bit of a rant, but I have been left with no option other than to bite my lip and pay your monthly subscription for half a product. Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Homehub 3 Wireless Connection Debacle.

Go to solution

This is a BT customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. The only BT staff are the forum moderators.They have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this post.

Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Hi C_Blakey,

Can you advise if you have tried ALL wireless channels? Also, have you tried a network analyzer such as Inssider 3? This will show any wireless networks/interference around you.
Cheers,
Chris
BT Mod Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Christopher,

The OP has stated "I've followed all the instructions given over the phone (numerous times), manually changed the channel"

He has also stated that he has used a wireless analyser -  " The WiFi light extinguishes briefly everytime a device drops out and a WiFi channel analyser shows this happening".

C_Blakey
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Yes, Chris. I used WiFi Analyser for Android as I don't have a WiFi enabled laptop.  I have tried all the WiFi channels, even 12 and 13.  Both houses next door are on 3 and 9, so 6 seems the obvious choice but still doesn't work.  

Moderator-Retired
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
@gg30340

I was after more information from the customer, but thanks.

@C_Blakey

Thanks for the extra info and if you fill out the contact us form located in the about me section of my profile we can take a look at this for you.
Cheers,
Chris.
Bt mod Team.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

C_Blakey
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Just to finish this thread off, Id like to personally thank Sean Donnelly from the forum for his invaluable assistance. After a few very courteous emails he arranged to have me a new hub sent out. This -- at the minute -- has sorted out the issues.  So, moral of the story?  If your WiFi goes down and you're certain it's not interference, stick to your guns.  Mods on here are far, far more competent than anyone you'll speak to on the phone.

On a related note, I've just discovered that BT have been taking an extra £25 from my bank account every 2-3 months and they have no idea what it's for nor hold records of receiving the payments!  So, the games begin again!