When a device connects to me new home hub 4 using DHCP it is given the primary dns of 18.104.22.168, despite the fact that the gateway address is 192.168.1.254.
This address is not pingable and not contactable if I use nslookup from my pc. Devices trying to use it (eg an android phone, my Humax PVR) cant connect to the internet as (presumably) they cant lookup an URL to get an ip.
It looks like the actual dns settings in the hub are ok (Primary DNS:22.214.171.124, Secondary DNS: 126.96.36.199).
If I set a device with a static ip and give it these dns servers directly then it all works OK, but I cant do this with some devices and they seem to rely on DHCP (eg the Humax).
Should I change my HH address to be 188.8.131.52, so it will then be used as the local dns server?
or is there a better alternative?
and how do most users manage - I am at leats reasonably tech savvy, working in IT (C# software developer)
Solved! Go to Solution.
A quick google on that IP address shows it to be a virgin media DNS server address. Is your home hub connected to a bt line or a virgin media one? I only ask as the hub should be picking up one of the bt dns servers if on the correct line.
Is every device picking up that address for a dns server or just a select few, when using dhcp?
I would suggest doing a factory reset on the router, making sure that if you have put in any custom settings that you make a note of them prior to the reset.
If you could also go to ping.eu and make a note of the ip address that you shows when you get there, and then post the first 2 elements on the ip address, 81.32.*.* for example, as I'm wondering if you may have a cross jumpered line with a virgin media line. Do they offer ADSL at your local exchange? You could also try calling your landline number and see if the call comes in, would help to determine if it is a x-jumpered line.
With regard to changing the gateway address of the router that would not be my first choice of action as it would only mask a potential issue rather than resolve it.
The 184.108.40.206 is the address it gives out as primary DNS when serving DHCP. I assumed it should give out its own address and would then either satisfy lookups itself or use the internally configured DNS servers.
ping.eu shows: 31.54.*.*
it should be a BT line, although we did try to have virgin media installed (they failed so we cancelled), maybe they got part way thru?
31 addresses are in the bt range, and as I recall Virgin don't use those, so the connection seems to be routing correctly, at least with regard to IP addresses. I would attempt the factory reset, as it may be an issue with the hubs configuration playing silly devils.
If it is still showing that DNS server after a reset, do you have an alt router that can be thrown on the line for a few minutes to see if the same dns server comes up with different equipment.
Did you try calling your line to see if the call came in or tried calling your mobile from it just to make sure the correct number was being shown.
You don't have anything running as a server on the network do you that could potentially be handing out dhcp/dns details that has incorrect details on it? Before the reset, try disconnecting everything from the router and turning off the wireless and have just one hard-wired pc/laptop with dhcp turned on and see what you get from that.
You say Virgin started to do an install for you, you're not using a virgin media router as a wireless access point are you? If so, can you take that off and try again.
Taking another look, the dns servers showing on the router aren't on the list of dns servers that are normally handed out:
Primary DNS: 220.127.116.11
Secondary DNS: 18.104.22.168
Tertiary DNS: 22.214.171.124
Additional DNS: 126.96.36.199
Additional DNS: 188.8.131.52
Additional DNS: 184.108.40.206
Additional DNS: 220.127.116.11
Additional DNS: 18.104.22.168
These are the dns servers that a quick google search show to be BT Retails. I take it you've done a restart of the router by now, but have you done a full factory reset of the router using the small reset button on the back near the power cable using a paper clip or ballpoint pen?
The IP addresses you have described as showing for your dns servers 213.*.*.* are very similar to those that the router shows for jumps on the way to the exchange on a trace route.
Have you also stripped the network back to one device connected to the router and see what that is getting? If the router is showing one set of dns servers and your network is picking up something else when connected via DHCP, normally that is down to something on the network acting as a dhcp server and handing out these details to the other devices.
Doing the factory reset on the HH4 seemed to solve the proiblem of it giving out the 22.214.171.124 dns address.
Everything seems to be behaving now.
|Did you get the help you needed?|
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
|Show your appreciation!|
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
|Help guide to using the community? Click below|
Dragging this up as it might help someone else.
I've just had a similar problem switching from Virgin to BT (on Virgin I had cable only, the phone line was BT).
Thanks to this thread, I've worked out my problem though - unmanaged switches oddly enough. I have two around the house and somehow they meant that wireless devices were commonly getting handed out IPs outside the range of the router and with the 126.96.36.199 DNS - hence meaning none could access the internet.
Resetting the router (with a pin) made no difference.
This thread made me think of switching off those switches overnight to see if I would wipe their tables. Lo and behold as soon as they were off, all wireless devices connected with an appropriate IP and had interent access.
Yet to pin down which switch is guilty as only stumbled across this last night. Will update this when able.
Thanks to OP and moderators for their help.