Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
playboater15
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Homehub 4 v X Kryptor DII (military) Laptop

Hi,

I'm brand new to the forum.  I've just had a BT line put in with Broadband connection to use a UK military DII laptop at home.  It's using a Homehub 4.

The X Kryptor challenge page never loads on the laptop, so I cannot use it to connect to the iDII or outlook.

I have spoken with the SPOC who advised disconnecting my civilian computer and wifi devices.. No change.

They suggest it is a VPN issue and I should ask BT.  The lady at BT had no idea, so short of cancelling the Broadband contract, I'm stuck!

I've looked through these fora and some other folks have had X Kryptor snags solved by changing "Port Enabling" to on or off... Neither works for me.

Does anyone have a fix? Many thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Homehub 4 v X Kryptor DII (military) Laptop

From what I've seen X-Kryptor doesnt work well behind a home hub. I'd recommend trying a different router. Also its probably been done already but get the people that look after the laptop to adjst the MTU I'd recommend trying it at 1200 to start with. I doubt you will be able to do that yourself as it will require administrator privaledges on the device.

0 Ratings
playboater15
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the tips chaps.  I'm still within my cancellation period with BT... Is there an ISP and or router that might work without any major changes to the DII laptop? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

You don't need to change ISP to change router, just buy any old cheap router.

Jonkarra
Expert
Message 5 of 10

As licquorice says just buy a cheap router from one of the online stores. I suspect the problem with the Home Hub is that it some application intelligence and sees the Xryptor traffic as a normal VPN. The problem is from experience the XKryptor doesnt do standards compliant IKE/IPSEC.
0 Ratings
playboater15
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Can anyone suggest a good router that would do the job?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

They are all much of a muchness really, everybody will have their own personal preferences. Just check the spec meets your requirements.

Edit: If you are anticipating upgrading to infinity in the near future, it might be worth buying a VDSL/ADSL router. The Billion 8800n is about £63, others are quite a bit more expensive

0 Ratings
playboater15
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Thanks, I won't be upgrading. I just need this laptop to work so I can check work emails at home.  I am really clueless about this, so if they're all much the same, why do I need to change?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

They are all much the same with the exception of the Home Hub, which is very hobbled.

Edit: Perhaps see if you can borrow a router from your IT people first.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

Hopefully you resolved this but if not, I know of some solutions to the problem which also enable you to use your laptop in a hotel or public Wi-Fi hotspot etc.

Kind regards,

Rob Knight.

0 Ratings