cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hils48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Homehub 5 & Wi-fi doorbell

My Wi-fi doorbell keeps going offline as the Wi-fi regularly drops out from my HH5 - no other devices are affected.  My router is located very close to my front door, so I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to what might be causing this issue? 

I have zero techical knowledge of these things and it has been suggested that I buy a new router. Does this sound like a solution to upgrade to an HH6? My poor CCTV installer must be fed up with me contacting him every few weeks to put the thing back online.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Homehub 5 & Wi-fi doorbell

Upgrading the router may solve the problem but I wouldn’t suggest paying for a HH6. There are several third party products that are suitable replacements from Around£35 upwards. Search this forum for the alternatives.

I am using a Ring product with a TP-Link router that have three brick walls between them without and problems.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

have you tried splitting the 2.4/5ghz networks as that may help as many devices don't like the networks combined  when you split them you should add a 5 to the 5ghz SSID to distinguish one network from the other  probably find doorbell is on 2.4ghz

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Hils48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thank you. I shall take a look. Netgear routers have been recommended to me.
0 Ratings
Hils48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

As I have no technical knowledge at all, I have no idea about splitting the network, so will have to leave things alone that I do not understand. Thanks for the reply.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

I think it would help so here are step by step instructions  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings