cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT Homehub4 and On Demand TV

In 2015 I was with Plusnet Broadband & I purchased a Panasonic smart TV so I could access On Demand TV

In 2016  I switched to BT Broadband & I cannot now access On Demand.  The TV is connected to  the Homehub4 as I can access the web and apps but when I try to select On Demand it says I need an internet connection

I have tried speaking to everyone Panasonic/Freesat/Freeview/Bt etc etc and all pass the book

I go away a lot (hence why I wanted On Demand) so I pick up this problem as & when I am home.  I took the TV back to where I bought it and they tested it and it was OK They suggested that it was a software problem and that the Homehub4 has a Firewall or something preventing my access and I need to reset it. BT were useless.  has anyone else come across this problem and if so can you advise?  Thanks

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Homehub4 and On Demand TV

Is SmartSetup turned off on the homehub?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Hi  and thank you for replying.  I have no idea what Smartset is or how to change it.  I apologise but I am a complete non techie .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 17

You need to log into the homehub to access its setting. Choose advanced settings -> home network -> smart network and then disable it. Password on the card at the back of the hub. "smart setup" can confuse connected devices such as TVs, cameras etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Ok   managed to do that and reset the Homehum and the TV (back to factory settings)  Turned TV off for a few minutes and then back on, connected to hub (wireless)  followed all the TV setup instructions but.........nope   no On Demand   Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 17

@kushicats wrote:

Ok   managed to do that and reset the Homehum and the TV (back to factory settings)  Turned TV off for a few minutes and then back on, connected to hub (wireless)  followed all the TV setup instructions but.........nope   no On Demand   Smiley Frustrated

If you have reset the HH4 to factory settings then the Smart Settup will be reactivated. Go into the hub manager and turn off SmartSettup but dont reset the hub afterwards.

Also were you using HH4 with Plusnet?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Hi  sorry  I didn't explain properly.  I changed the settings on the HH4 as you instructed.  It was the TV that I reset to factory settings.  With Plusnet I used a router provided by them.  Thank you once again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 17

Can you not change the settings on the Plusnet router and use that?  Though it might not be feasible, depends on how locked down the Plusnet router is.  The alternative is buy your own third party modem/router and everything should work as intended.

You have a choice of features and price.  Asus, Billion, DrayTek, TP-Link etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Not one for keeping things I don't need so binned the Plusnet one I am afraid.   Will a 3rd party router work with BT?  do I still enter the same passwords for example?  And also, if is it more than likely a router problem, should'nt BT be responsible?  Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 17

Yes, you have a choice of makes and features/price.  As far as I'm aware they all come with some form of automatic set up.  The device will discover the connection type and all the user usually has to type in is the username and password.  Which for BT is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password bt.  I personally never use any 'smart set up' features.

As to BT being responsible, I think that is open to interpretation.  As long as the connection to the internet works they would seem to have fulfilled their part of the bargain.  I don't see them being liable for the support of an external device they did not supply.

0 Ratings