Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newsance
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Homehub5 2.4ghz Stability problem

Anyone else experience frequent connection issues on the 2.4ghz Band

I have had BT homehub for a number of years now and had no issue from the outset after splitting and re-naming the dual band - 2.4 and 5 ghz

Up until about 6 months ago , started to experience freezing up on video etc and found that 5ghz was unaffected

We had 4 devices trial and test the same video on Youtube and found that the 2 devices on 2.4ghz were slowing up / freezing and 5ghz connected devices were good

That was my final evidence to BT to have them ship a replacment HUB - then 1 week later i start to experience all over again the freezing up on 2.4ghz band

I have no external influencing equipment that may casue issues but anything in vicinity has been turned off and no mater if i manually select a chanell it work for a while then starts giving trouble

I have an app on my macbook that can see and display all available wireless Networks and i am begining to think neighbouring devices Not necessarily BT manufactured which seem to switch between 2.4ghz channels (AUTO) COULD BE THE PROBLEM , but obviously havemt started knocking on neighbours doors to confirm where and what

Any similar experiences would be interested to learn on

Cheers

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Homehub5 2.4ghz Stability problem

Welcome to this user forum.

Try turning smart wireless off, and manually selecting channel 13 as that is normally clear. You can also find another channel which is not occupied.

0 Ratings
newsance
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Cheers Keith
Yes Smart wireless is Off
I would use the Wifi scanner app i have and see surrounding wifi network ch details when trying various out
Will give 13 a try
Normally 1,6,11 are pretty much occupied by others and Smart wireless too
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

BT Home hub 6 (smart hubs) can only use channels 1,6 and 11, for reasons best known to BT, so you are lucky to have a home hub 5, so don`t be tempted to upgrade it.

Normal wireless scanner apps cannot see other sources of interference, or people who have hidden their SSID, not its a bit of trial and error.

0 Ratings
newsance
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Thanks again
i am not at home at the moment but will try when i get home 👍
0 Ratings