cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKS
Message 1 of 9

BT Homehub6 issues

Hi I’m having continual problems with my BT ADSL service

Problem has been reported to BT and engineers have visited and tested the lines. No issues found

I was originally using a HomeHub4 which BT replaced with a Homehub6. After many setup problems, a second homehub6, and many line resets at the exchange things worked for a while

Problems returned and BT engineer visited again, mentioned that there had been a number of issues with the HomeHub6 and left me a HomeHub5 to try. Again this worked for a while and then showed the same issues. I’m now back to the Homehub6.

However, I see frequent slow responses and hangs, particularly with my macbook (2011 but latest Apple OS) where the only remedy appears to be disconnect and reconnect to the router. We see frequent buffering on Youtube on all PCs etc which we never used to see.

I’m using separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHZ and have turned off smart setup and using only WPA2, all suggested fixes but nothing has resolved my issues

BT speed tests show download varying between 13 and 19Mbps with upload of 1Mbps so should be sufficient

Currently there is no fibre provision in our area

I do have a second business ADSL line which uses a small Thompson router which shows very similar upload and download speeds. We don’t see any of the issues on that service

I have seen many comments suggesting using a decent 3rdparty router rather than the HomeHub, but that really should work as described.

BTW I forgot to mention that we see all the same issues when connected via cable to the HomeHub

Any other suggestions grateful received before I bite the bullet and but a proper router

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Homehub6 issues

I have deleted your duplicate post.

Are the problems purely with wireless connected devices or with wired connections also?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

The home hub 4 is better suited to ADSL than the HH5 or 6.

A third party router (£35) is likely to give you better results, I use one on ADSL with no issues at all.

0 Ratings
MKS
Message 4 of 9

yes, I see the same issues where connected via wireless or LAN

0 Ratings
MKS
Message 5 of 9

Interesting, BT didnt suggest a replacement Homehub4, I'll raise another ticket with them

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

The home hub 4 has an upper frequency limit of about 2.2MHz, which encompassed the ADSL2+ frequency spectrum. It will reject frequencies outside of this range, including any crosstalk from adjacent VDSL circuits.

The HH5 and 6 have a much wider frequency range up to 12MHz, this means that on ADSL, its more likely to be affected by crosstalk which could cause errors and disconnections. It can also make them slower to sync up on an ADSL circuit if they detect other carrier signals.

BT will always promote the latest home hub, as they expect everyone to upgrade to higher speed fibre.

0 Ratings
MKS
Message 7 of 9

Keith,

Thanks for the reply. We live out in the sticks and no fibre available in our hamlet sadly so it can't be interference from other VDSL routers. Our nearest neighbour is about 60m away so I think any interference must be within our house if that is the cause

We do have a whole host of wireless equipment including, sky Q, sonos, various xbox one and 360, apple TV, playstation and numerous phones, ipads, PCs etc

When I got the first HH6 it wouldnt connect at all unless I disconnected all LAN circuits

I spent many hours trying to diagnose which device was causing the issues but the results weren't consistent, but the fact that the issues also occur on LAN connected devices suggests to me that the isue is not with the wireless side of things

Even though speed tests show similar figures between my home ADSL and my business ADSL if I set them both downloading the same file at the same time the business circuit wins hands down. It is variable though and sometimes they seem to be on a par.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

It can be interference from any out of band noise, especially on a long line. There are lots of signals in the range 2-17MHz, especially when it gets dark and short wave propagation improves.

If you have a number of external overhead sections, that makes matters worse. There are also lots of electronic equipment with switched mode power supplies, and they radiate interference.

Powerline adapters are the worst offenders, as they use a large radio frequency spectrum, and household mains wiring is not balanced, so radiation from the wiring is guaranteed.

If you can restrict the working bandwidth, like the HH4 does by design, then you are likely to get a more stable connection.

0 Ratings
MKS
Message 9 of 9

Keith,

So I think a replacement HH4 might be best. Our broadband does come in overhead. at least for the last 100m or so. We are on lines direct from our local exchange

Thanks for your suggestions

0 Ratings