cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Hub 2 dual band router and connectivity problems

Go to solution

BT Hub 2 uses two bands for WiFi: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I noticed that my network devices connected to the router can only see each other if they all use the same frequency - 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Devices that use 2.4GHz can only reach devices that use 2.4GHz and likewise for 5GHz. It appears that BT Hub does not provide any routes between devices on different bands. If I manually alter the routing table on one of my devices that use 5GHz to add routes to other devices that use 2.4GHz than the connectivity for that device is restored. However, this approach is limited as I cannot do this for all devices I use (for example Sonos). Is anyone else experiencing this or been able to fix it?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Hub 2 dual band router and connectivity problems

Go to solution

This has been mentioned before, but it doesn't seem to be a general problem as I can connect to a 2.4Ghz only printer from a 5GHz connected laptop, others have reported they can also do so. There is no logical reason why it should be a problem any more than wifi devices connecting to Ethernet devices.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Can't say I've noticed that one but certainly the SH2 does have some interesting, presumably unintended, 'features'.

I usually find that a simple reboot of the hub resolves such issues.

As a completely separate matter, I suggest that you disable Smart Setup. see  What is Smart Setup on the BT Hub? How can I turn it on and off? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Disabling Smart Setup and rebooting did the trick, at least for now. Thanks!
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Nice One.

The bad news is that if it is one of the features I mentioned earlier then it will happen again so just keep it in mind.

0 Ratings