Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dao2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Hub 5 Device List

Hi all,

Is there any way to get a device list of all assigned static IP addresses from previously assigned devices that are or have not been connected in a while?

Problem I have is this -

I have about 40 devices connected to the BTHub. I've assigned static IP addresses to my own devices (as opposed to my family) so I can port forward to various things (Raspberry Pi's Media servers etc). Now, some of my devices I don't use any more and haven't connected them in months, therefore, have dropped off the device list in the Hub's own list.

I've come to add another couple of devices and am getting the error can't assign the address I want as it's already assigned to another device, problem is I can't remember what device and can't delete it as it's not connected (and I actually might not even have the device anymore).

So, anyone know how I can either get a list of all devices (connected and off line) so I can see what's where or delete the device from the IP address I've assigned without connecting the device to the Hub?

BTW the DHCP Table doesn't show all devices - there are 6 IP addresses I've tried to assign that I get the error of already assigned - I've only managed to find 2 of them, connected them and deleted tihe ip assigned to them but for the life of me don't know what the other 4 could be..

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Hub 5 Device List

Welcome to this user forum. @dao2009

As you have manually assigned IP addresses to devices, then there is no need to use the home hub DHCP server, apart from roaming devices, provided you have assigned them correctly.

Using the option "always use this IP address" is not the same as assigning static IP addresses to devices.

To assign static IP addresses, it has to be done on the devices and not on the home hub.

You can assign static IP addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63, as this is outside of the DHCP range.

As far as I am aware there is no way to view old DHCP allocations which have expired. If you want to remove them, only a factory reset of the home hub will do that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
dao2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Apologies for the confusion, I tend to use terms interchangeably like assigning the IP address term for "always use xxx IP"in the hub. I know they are different and shouldn't do it..(come from trying to explain things to older family members who wouldn't be bothered about the difference and wouldn't even notice)

To be clear, I still need to have the DHCP server as not everything coming onto the network belongs to me. I only wanted my devices to have a static IP in the router as this was the quickest and easiest way to have everything where I want it..(I use the last 3 numbers for a particular device the same an various routers in various locations. I move about 8 of my devices from time to time, it just makes it easier for me to remember)

It's a pity that I can't get a full list, I'll just have to not use the addresses. I think the of addresses are phone I no longer have.. ah well...
0 Ratings
dao2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the reply btw
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

I am on ADSL, and still using a home hub 1.

That does have a device list which shows all current and disconnected devices, because it keep an historic ARP list which shows the MAC address and IP address of any device that has connected.

This is not the same as the DHCP list, and anyway, I do not use the home hub DHCP server, as its useless on all of the home hubs. I have a separate DHCP server for devices that roam.

The ARP listing can be edited, and entries can be removed or even given a name.

This advanced facility seems to have been dropped in the later versions of the home hub, as well as the ability to customise the firewall to control outgoing and incoming ports.

Which I why I am happy to keep my 10Mb ADSL2+ connection.

0 Ratings
dao2009
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I've never had a problem with the DHCP server on the Hub 5 that I've noticed. Everyone connects without issues (once I turned off the access control). At least I think they do, no one has ever really complained.

I set it up about 2 years ago and have left it ever since. Never had to reset that much either, maybe 2 or 3 times in that time - what issues did you have?

I've got an old Netgear router and TP-Link one (both with 3rd party firmware) that might have some kind of address resolution built in, I might have a look at those I honestly can't remember but I'm thinking even if I get the device from there I still couldn't delete it on the Hub 5 as there seems to be no way of doing it without the actual device being connected.

I think that a company like BT don't want you messing with the internals and/or firmware of their routers so they are taking more and more user options away from people. I have refused to get a HomeHub 6.

One of the reasons I installed the firmware on the old routers is that I used to really like playing with all that kind of stuff but I've gotten very lazy in the past years and stopped taking an interest. It's all just worked when I plugged it in and I've gone onto other things to tinker with (Raspberry Pi's, Pine 64's etc). Don't know what the WiFi is really like on the Hub 5 as the vast majority of my stuff is wired in. There's only really my phones that I use wirelessly and even then most of the time I use the data on them because I just forget to turn on the WiFi

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@dao2009 wrote:

I've never had a problem with the DHCP server on the Hub 5 that I've noticed. Everyone connects without issues (once I turned off the access control). At least I think they do, no one has ever really complained.

I set it up about 2 years ago and have left it ever since. Never had to reset that much either, maybe 2 or 3 times in that time - what issues did you have?

I use a home hub 1, so the issues are slightly different. I needed "known" IP addresses for devices that connect to the network. This proved difficult on the HH1, as there was no way to control which IP address was allocated.

I use the DHCP server which is part of one of my wireless access points. This allows proper address reservation where I can decide the IP address allocated to roaming devices.

If I have issues with a device, I can monitor traffic using Wireshark using that IP address as a capture filter.

To block a device I simply add a rule to the HH1 firewall, to block its IP address.

I also have two separate subnets, one for the private network, and one for a guest network.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

If I log into my hub 5 I can see all previous devices that have been connected to the hub.

Advanced settings> home network.

If you do a refresh on the home network screen it removes all but the current connected devices
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings