Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gizzo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Hub 5 Port Forwarding Limitations

I have just replaced my HH2 with a HH5. As part of the setup of the new HH I have added 39 applications to the supported games and applications in the HH firewall for features on my Synology diskstation but have not yet assigned any of them.

I have tried to assign one of the default supplied applications for PPTP VPN to forward incoming VPN requests to a VPN endpoint. This does not seem to be working so I want to view the default application details for the PPTP VPN to see what protocols and ports are defined. This does not seem possible as when I use the 'manage games and applications' feature it only displays the new applications I have entered. I cannot view the default ones but can assign them from the pull down list when trying to set up port forwarding. 

How can I view the rules for the default games and applications without having to delete out all of the new application rules I have entered ?

Is there anyway of exporting any of the hub settings to a readable format file so that I can save it and refer to it later without having to log on to the HH ?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Hub 5 Port Forwarding Limitations

Welcome to this forum.

Did you see this link?

SYNOLOGY DS214 - Remote access via BT Home Hub

As far as viewing the default ones, perhaps someone with a HH5 can help?

I don`t think you can export any settings in a readable form on any of the home hubs, apart from the home hub 1.

0 Ratings
Gizzo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I have seen the page you mentioned but that is for general access to a Synology DS. I am specifically looking to use a VPN endpoint on a RPI not a Synology. As far as I can see using PPTP I need to forward TCP 1723 and UDP 500 to the RPI. I cannot see any reference to the GRE settings so assume that this is either not possible and/or not required.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I am not sure what you mean by RPI? Is it a PC that you are trying to port forward to, or your Synology?

0 Ratings
Gizzo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

RPI = Raspberry PI

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@Gizzo wrote:

RPI = Raspberry PI

I understand, what you mean now.

I don`t know anything about its network settings, but I would start by giving it a static IP address, outside of the DCHP range.

The nearest thing I have to a guide, is for a Windows VPN, which may help.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/winvpn.html

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

I managed to get VPN working today behind the BTHH 5. My VPN server is Dratek 2830n. If anyone still have an issue let me know and I will explain the complete setup. 

0 Ratings
pgbj
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

I'd be very interested to hear your solution!

I am trying to setup a PPTP VPN with the server behind the HH5 firewall on my main router. I have opened 1723 but external port checkers say it remains closed - even if I completely disable the firewall on the HH5. I know PPTP also needs to use GRE for the actual passthrough but this doesnt seem controllable on the HH5. Any thoughts?

It used to work on a old ADSL HH2

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 9 of 10

You can't nat GRE or ESP as they are not TCP or UDP but different IP protocols. Most VPNs use nat traversal where the gre/esp is encapsulated with UDP packets. You need to ensure this option is configured. UDP 5000 alone will not be enough as that's IKE which is part odd the tunnel setup and control.

0 Ratings
pgbj
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

I did get it to work in the end.

I found that setting up my own PPTP application to open & forward 1723 did not work - as it did not enable GRE passthrough inbound. Whereas using the pre-defined "PPTP Server" did work (eventually) as it somehow (presumably hardcoded) also configured GRE. You could see in the syslog two entries when the rule was added, one forwarding 1723 and one doing something "<null>" to GRE 47.

I then had to do battle with a double NAT config to get it to the VPN on my ASUS N66....

0 Ratings