cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 1

BT Hub 5 Type A 2.4ghz / 5.0ghz connection issues

Product Name: BT Hub 5 Type A
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just recently upgraded my laptop to a new HP Pavilion x360 13-u005na (ENERGY STAR).  

I have also been trouble shooting a few issues with my BT broadband connection which has good upload and download speeds (download speed circa 62mbits/sec, upload speed circa 14mbits/sec) but pretty poor performance over wi-fi, expecially with my iPhone and iPad (which can be slow and drop out).

BT advised to me amend the router settings to that my 802.11 router broadcasts a different SSID for the 2.4ghz band and 5.0ghz band.

I have done this and been able to "force" my new HP laptop and my Apple devices to use the SSID associated with the 5.0ghz band.  They seem to be connecting, achieving a better speed and appear to be more reliable than they were previously. So, a good result so far.

My printer (HP Photosmart All-in-One Premium C390-g) and my Kindle do not support 5.0ghz and so are connected to the SSID associated with the 2.4ghz band.  This is not a problem for the Kindle as it does not need to talk to any of the other devices but is a problem for the printer.

When the printer is connected to the 2.4ghz SSID and the laptop is connected to the 5.0ghz SSID, the document will physically print but does not clear from the print queue (and the only way to clear it and print another document is to  cancel the document in the Windows print queue *AND* restart the computer).

After a bit of experimenting I have determined the only way the document will physically print and clear itself down from the print queue is if both the laptop and the printer are on the 2.4ghz SSID *AND* the 2.4ghz band is set to a max of 144mbits/sec rather than the maximum option of 300mbits/sec (when set to 300mbits/sec the document physically prints but does not clear from the queue just like when the laptop is on 5.0ghz SSID).

TWO QUESTIONS:

(1) Any advice on how to resolve this?

(2) What new printers support 5.0ghz (manufacturers do not seem to give info this on their websites)

THANKS

Andy

0 Ratings