cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: BT Hub 6

Go to solution

If you need Ethernet at more than one location, you can get a multi pack of a master that connects to the hub and multiple slaves at various locations.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

Many thanks but as everything else works fine via wifi I haven't used Ethernet for years.  My phone, tablet, laptop and desktop PC plus the Panasonic smart TV have no connectivity issues which is why I believe it is some limitation in this TV adaptor that has stopped it working. 

In my days selling computer systems we always stressed the importance of buying a complete system from one vendor because any problems with a mixed-source system, each of the vendors would blame the others.

If I'd paid 3 times the price for a Humax adaptor instead of being a skinflint and buying a third-party device, Humax would have had to own the problem and sort it out

The Humax box is a bedroom telly and I just thought during lockdown on dark evenings it might be nice to watch catch-up TV in bed, that's all!  

You get what you pay for, lesson learned!   BT isn't the cheapest service provider but I have had no problems so worth sticking with them for the track record and not least, the help I get from this forum with problems way over my head

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

I should have said in my previous post that the Netgear Wi Fi Extender works Perfectly with My Humax Sat Recorder. At one time there were 3 Humax Sat receivers connected to the Extender all worked flawlessly.Two of them have since been Replaced by Lg Smart tv and they also work without any Problem.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

thanks, I only have the one non-smart device, everything else (3 computers, phone, smart tv) and at one time Sonos wireless hifi extender) has its own integrated wifi connector and works fine

but if I ever need more additions then I agree a wifi extender is the way to go

and with the evenings getting lighter and hopes of lockdown release, the chances of wanting watch telly in bed are receding fast!

I just can't understand why this plug-in adapter worked fine at first then stopped working, is all and I am disappointed it was sold as specifically compatible with my Humax box and with all routers 

on the product packaging it does say 2.4Ghz, I guess my smart hub is changing to 5Ghz to speed up my network then the adapter can't see it, as the suppliers said, I am chucking it in the bin 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

For some reason I have yet to fathom, although there are a couple of theories, some single band devices do appear to have problems when both bands have the same SSID despite not being able to 'see' the 5Ghz signal. Hence splitting the bands can resolve this.  I appreciate you are reluctant to do this, but it does often resolve WiFi problems.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Yes but the Netgear wi fi Extender has an integrated Ethernet Port.Place the Extender near to the Humax Device and connect to it with an ethernet cable and you are good to go.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

@Hildener Can you please point out where the OP has said they have a Netgear extender.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

I made no suggestion that the op had a netgear extender. I am  putting forward the idea that the Netgear Extender maybe a solution for the Problem. it's for the op to decide if it is suitable or not.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Hi all, I understood both suggestions that if I wanted a wifi extender I would have to buy either the BT or Netgear equipment from scratch and I did like the using the mains as a wifi conductor idea because my simple mind can understand that

I'm really sorry to have made so much work for you both, I am very much hardware technically-challenged and if I decide I can't live without iPlayer in my bedroom I'll just go and buy another Panasonic smart tv to have an easy life

Please don't put any more energy into this, I feel so guilty!  If the seller had not made it out to be a straight plug & play with any router, I wouldn't have even considered buying it

The seller is now saying I need to change the wireless channel, not split the band 

You do a fantastic job on this forum and no doubt most of your questions come from brighter people than me, I should stick to doing sums and thank you both for trying

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

Don't worry about it . Wi fi can be a very difficult thing at times. I only suggested the Extender because the Mains solution would not work at this location due to Extender being in an outbuilding far from the House. I should also say that the Extender is only a single band 2.4 ghz device as the distance from router to it's location is too far for the 5 ghz band. It works perfectly and I am reasonably confident that it will solve the problem if you plug the humax into it's ethernet Port also the single band extender is not very expensive from Amazon. Anyway good luck with it and if you can do switch off smart setup and split the Bands.

0 Ratings