cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rnjones
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

BT Hub 6A 5Ghz Wi Fi just stopped authenticating

I have had my home hub 6A for nearly a year now and no complaints. My house has a lot of not spots so I use a Netgear WAC 120 downstairs and HH6A upstairs where the phone line enters the house.

For various reasons I have only ever enabled 5Ghz on HH6. All was working well, until yesterday. All my devices suddenly reported that that the password was wrong for that SSID. Checked for channel over lap, none.

I have tried the following devices

1. iPhone 6S

2. iPad Pro

3. 2 x Mac running High Sierra

4. Windows 7 Thinkpad

5. Amazon Echo dot

None will join the HH6 5Ghz network.

I can see in the HH6 event log a DHCP request from the device, but all I get is incorrect password on the iDevices and nothing on PC or Macs. Here is the troubleshooting to date.

Changed the network password, nothing.

Rebooted the HH6, nothing.

Reset HH6 to factory default, Nothing (why does the backup and restore not keep my hosts lists?)

Tried with Factory settings to join 5Ghz, network, nothing.

Turned on 2.4Ghz Wi Fi, with different SSID to 5Ghz, can join 2.4 no problem from everything. Still cannot join 5Ghz

Joined 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz under one SSID, all devices join 2.4Ghz WLAN, will not join 5Ghz.

Split them again 5Ghz nothing.

Software updated on 7th of January 2018, hmm. Then today it says updated on 12th of January 2018.

Firmware version SG4B1000B522

Hey BT what have you done to my HH6?

Can any of you with this Firmware version see if you can get a device (iDevice would be good) to join the 5Ghz WLAN?

Trying to figure out if it is Firmware glitch or my HH6 radio has gone caput.

Thanks

RJ

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
rnjones
Beginner
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Hub 6A 5Ghz Wi Fi just stopped authenticating

I forgot to say. I also tried Mode 1, 2 and 3 and that made no difference.

Also why is it so tough to edit the SSID on the 5Ghz network. It really wants me to have -5 at the end of any SSID. Weird.

Just found delivery details of the HH6. 9/1/17. Just out of warranty!!

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 19

I believe the software update was to fix a security issue in WPA2 encryption. I have had to reset passwords on several devices as a result.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

@rnjones

as long as you are still in a fixed term contract with BT the the hub is covered by warranty and will be replaced free if faulty  however if you are no longer in fixed term and now rolling monthly contract then hub is your responsibility

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Evil_Dan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Not just you.  Exact same thing here with devices failing to connect to the router's 5GHz wifi after the latest update.  The 2.4GHz band appears unaffected.

I have a powerline wireless point with a different SSID and I can connect devices to this which will connect to the internet via to router so it's almost certainly something with the wifi in the Smart Hub and the firmware has borked it.  

0 Ratings
rnjones
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Re: BT Hub 6A 5Ghz Wi Fi just stopped authenticating because of Firmware update

Dan, Colin, thanks for your responses. It does seem that something has happened to the authentication part of the new firmware. I wonder how we can get BT to have a look at this? I could ring the lovely people on the BT contact centre but I am not sure I have the time or patience to sit through the "have you rebooted your PC routine".

As I have been in IT for many years I know how to troubleshoot and I think with Dan's confirmation something has gone a bit wrong with the latest firmware.

Any suggestions on how this can be escalated would be welcome

RJ

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

As this problem doesn't appear to be universal, I'm just wondering if it only a problem where users have changed the SSID of the 5Ghz signal.

0 Ratings
rnjones
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

I am not sure. One thign I do know is on my HH6A when I set up split WI Fi SSID's teh HH is very funny about editing the SSID name on the 5Ghz SSID. Always puts -5 on the end of any SSID I pick, SO if 2.4Ghz is called Guest, 5Ghz is called Guest-5. It will not change the -5, you can edit the word Guest but not -5.

Weird.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

there was a post on the forum where someone posted a workaround to get rid of the 5 - if you are that desperate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mike000
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

for all it matters, it seems I have similar issues with a BTHub5 (after the update) and a BTHub6 (I need to confirm this was also updated). I normally use the Hub6, but when Wifi 5Ghz stopped working on that one, (a few days ago), I took out the Hub 5 and that worked ok, so I left that one on (split SSIDs, joined 5Ghz).

Today I realised Hub5 ran into the same issues as the Hub 6, iphones, ipad connecting to wifi 5ghz, (after many attempts), but no internet; mac unable to connect to 5Ghz. I realised that sometime overnight Hub 5, got the latest update.

So, yep, having issues with wifi 5Ghz, that *seem* to be at (least in hub 5) related to the update.

0 Ratings