cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dippu
Expert
Message 11 of 19

Re: BT Hub 6A 5Ghz Wi Fi just stopped authenticating

I started to have the same problems as the original post. My HH6 has worked reliably since launch and on 18/01 it updated the firmware to B522. Today it has started to disconnected my devices on 5GHz. When it does connect it's either fine or it times out. The 2.4GHz is fine.

So I disconnected my devices by "forgetting network" on 5HGz and then reconnected and I received error that my password is incorrecct. After muliple times trying it connected.

It seems there is a glitch in the new firmware because this problem appears to be intermittent and pot-luck to get reconnected!

Note: All settings are the same as before the firmware update. E.g. split bands, smart set up off etc.

I am reluctant to do a Factory Reset since it will bring back BT Fon, and we all know how difficult it can be to switch that off!

Any clues to what the problem might be? Firmware glitch?

0 Ratings
Norrette
Beginner
Message 12 of 19

I can echo these issues. I've just spent several hours trying to connect my sisters HP printer to her BT Hub6. We even took the printer to my house and it connected to my plus net hub immediately, without a problem. 

Online chat help suggested splitting the signals, tried this and got the -5 issue reported above.  Also, when I split the signals on my plusnet hub, I get the chance to have separate passwords for the 5ghz and the 2.8ghz ssids. Why doesn't the BTHub6 allow for this? I think there's a firmware issue on the hub. My sister is a new customer of BT since December, but she's never got the HP printer to work - even prior to the firmware patch (hers was 20th Jan)

Can't believe the largest comms company in the UK can't fix this?

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 13 of 19

Update: I bit the bullet and carried out the Factory Reset 10 days ago by pressing the recessed button at the back. I also managed to Opty out of the BT FON  (took 48 hours) after the Factory Reset. No more problems with 5 GHz band.

0 Ratings
rnjones
Beginner
Message 14 of 19

It has been three weeks since the Firmware update. Not one device will connect to my 5Ghz Wi Fi network. Tried a load of different endpoints. As well as the steps in my first post.

I find it amazing that BT have not noticed this. Not bothered to read these posts.

I do appreciate 99% of their customers do not care, notice, know what we are going on about. But some of us do.

I would call them to discuss, but who has the time or the patience to go through the basic trouble shooting the contact centre will insist on.

I wonder if the forum admins would care to suggest a way of getting this escalated?

Where I work we have a thing called customer satisfaction, it is a very strong focus.

Mine is very low with BT currently.

RJ

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 19

the strange thing is it is not affecting many people so what makes the few on this thread different to the vast majority that use the 5ghz network on the hh6 with the new firmware?

If it was a wide spread problem then it would have had a fix by now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mike000
Beginner
Message 16 of 19

I think if the bands have not been split, all incoming wifi connections may (wrongly) be directed to the 2.4Ghz one. I don't have any evidence of this, but I suspect this is why a lot of people have not noticed.

I have not tried to reset to factory defaults, my solution was a bit of an overkill, I bought a Wireless AP point and disabled wireless on the bt hub; quite frankly this should not have been the case, it had been working fine prior to the update. As I said in another thread, the firmware upgrade seems to have done the same thing for BTHub5 and BTHub6 *for me*.

0 Ratings
Norrette
Beginner
Message 17 of 19

The issue I am reporting is about trying to connect *any* wifi printer to the BT Hub. Splitting the bands was said to be a solution (...by BT help)- but it wasn't and my sisters apple equipment keeps signing on to wifi fon as a fall back from 5 gHz - new problem on top of the first one.

I am not the only person to report these issues - a search for Printer and BTHUb6 will show there are many more out there.

Interesting that both printers (Epson & HP) report that MAC filtering is preventing the sign-on - yet have tried both printers either with filtering on or with it off.  Neither work.

0 Ratings
Norrette
Beginner
Message 18 of 19

"I think if the bands have not been split, all incoming wifi connections may (wrongly) be directed to the 2.4Ghz one"

That's certainly true of my plusnet hub - have now split them and they work perfectly.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 19

with the hh6 when you split the bands the hub automatically adds a 5 to the 5ghz band but the hh5 does not so splitting the bands on hh5 need a 5 to be manually added to the 5ghz networks otherwise the SSID for 2.4/5ghz will be the same

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings