cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Hub 6A not routing wired PC to wireless Canon MG5750 printer

Go to solution

I have a Lenovo laptop and a Intel PC along with a Canon MG7750 wireless printer.

Situation 1:

Laptop and PC wired to a Dlink switch and then to the BT Hub. The Canon wireless connected to the BT Hub.

Hub shows the Laptop and PC in Wired Devices, and the printer in Wireless devices.

Neither the Laptop or the PC can see the printer, who is statically on 192.168.1.90 (I tried DHCP, nothing too).

If I ping 192.168.1.90 from either Laptop or Printer I get "request timed out"

Situation 2:

Unplug the Laptop, so it gets its IP address wirelessly and no issue printing to the Canon, ping works too

The PC still cannot "see" the Canon printer, and ping still times out.

Conclusion

The BT Hub is not routing wired traffic to the wireless printer, but is happy to route wireless to wireless ?

Anyone any suggestions on how to sort out the Hub ? I have rebooted everything, I have factory reset, I have switched off Smart Setup ... I have even switch the cable into another Port on the Hub and removed the DLink Switch from the set up so the Laptop and PC are directly wired into the hub ... and yet, the printer remains unreachable ...

I even successfully printed from my Android phone over wireless.

Lost for ideas now ...

Thanks,

Dave

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Hub 6A not routing wired PC to wireless Canon MG5750 printer

Go to solution

@deveritt 

The ip address you've assigned to the printer is within the DHCP assignment range of the router, maybe try something between 2 & 63 to see if that makes a difference.

Do you have the 5750 or 7750 as you mention both?

Edit: I've a Canon G6050 & that has a bit of software - IJ Network Device setup - that I've had to use to resolve some issue of mine.

With some of these printers if the IP address is different to that assigned when the software was installed then you can't see the printer.

I can't remember if I used that bit of software to resolve my problem or removed & re-installed the drivers or even removed all the software & re-installed the lot. But I think you need to do something along those lines but do give it an ip addresss outside of the DHCP range though.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi Tim,

I have the Canon MG5750, typo is I mentioned something else. It is unfortunate as it is only able to use WiFi, my Samsung Laser is wired and is behaving beautifully.

For the desktop and the laptop I have all the Canon tools installed, but I do not think it is that which will fix this as I can repeat the following:

Printer has been set up to have a static IP address of 192.168.1.90,
BT router entry for 192.168.1.90 as been set to always use the address for the MAC address.

Laptop wired = ping 192.168.1.90 returns timed out, that is the route cannot be found.

Desktop wired = ping 192.168.1.90 returns timed out, that is the route cannot be found

Laptop unplugged, reverts to wireless = ping 192.168.1.90,  replies come back in 2ms.

The Laptop refuses to print or scan from the printer when wired and does it without issue if wireless.

My conclusion is that BT Home Hub is not routing from wired to wireless as a ping should be routed if in the same subdomain without any complications.

Of course, if I get on the phone with BT support it is likely to be a few hours of discussion with them going through the obvious before they escalate me to someone who will understand that that something is not working within the Router.

My other thought is that the BT Home Hub may have a Dual Wifi bug in that the printer is 2.4G and 5G and the Router can see it is Dual band ... it could be that the Router cannot figure out a wired to dual band wifi and routes to one that the printer is not expecting .. I have not worked out how to switch dual band off on the printer or force the Router to only use one band ...

Really I need to talk to a BT engineer, but I do not want the hours of "have you tried" from non-engineers first, I am a BSc Electronics engineer with 30 years experience in hardware, software and IT design ...

I also expect that folks have not seen this as most folks are now wireless in their homes and wireless to wireless is working fine, its only us old gamers that are using desktops with wires for networks ...

Hoping someone has an idea on how to make this work,

Regards,

Dave

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

what happens if you miss out switch and connect laptop with ethernet direct to hub does printer work?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Canon-Routing-Issue.png

First ping is with Ethernet  cable unplugged, second ping is with Ethernet plugged in, third ping is with Ethernet cable unplugged again. My other plugged in devices (gaming desktop) cannot see the printer either.

It seems the BT Router isn't a router .... in that it is not routing wired to wireless devices within its same domain?

I imagine few folks have wired ethernet anymore, but I have a laser printer, NAS, VoIP phone, desktop and console wired and not being able to use the Canon printer/scanner unless I use the laptop on WiFi is rather frustrating.

Can anyone help ?

Dave

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Solved it.,,,

The Canon MG5750 has 2.4GHz and 5GHz capability and I wondered if the Router was trying to connect to both in some way, and not figuring out how to reach it.

I read about Mode 1,2,3 and when I got to the settings I noticed "Separate bands" was off, I switched it on and yay! ... the wired devices can now see the printer, the BT router is now routing.

I think the "Smart routing" algorithm in the Home hub has some issues if the device is able to accommodate both or maybe the printer has an issue if the router can accommodate both, however whichever it is I have solved it.

Regards,

Dave