cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT Hub Replacement Suggestions

Go to solution

Good evening all, 

I have 900 full fibre to the property, package etc and having run speed tests etc only get around 300mpbs on wifi having googled looks like the BT smart hub cant do more than that. 

As i am paying for 900 i would like that, having logged into BT and done speed tests there on the line i am getting 920mpbs. 

can anyone recommend a router to replace the BT one that will give me what I want please. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Hub Replacement Suggestions

Go to solution

Practically any router will do. It does not need to incorporate any modem as that is done by the ONT. A pure router only will do. A Netgear Nighthawk is well thought of.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Ooh the Nighthawk looks good reading up on it. Thank you. 

A silly question would I plug that into the BT hub or disconnect the BT hub and use it as a direct replacement. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Direct replacement

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Remembering if you go digital voice you will have to switch back to the SH2

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I won't be getting digital voice so will go and splash out on a nighthawk. 

Thanks so much.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@Norts777 

Worth checking first whether Netgear still don't support BT's implementation of IPv6 , may or may not be an issue to you even if they don't.

Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Just bought a Netgear Nighthawk AX1800 from Argos just got wifi speeds on my ipad air 2019 of 555mpbs on wifi so a lot better. 

my laptop and samsung phone havent really changed still around 300mpbs but i assume thats just what my devices can handle. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I just changed to an ASUS RT-AC68U the performance is amazing, no WiFi issues, 5G and 2.4 are split, apple devices now working faultlessly . I feel like complaining to BT but prob wasting my time,

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

My sky q box still downloads painfully slow so just ordered a long ethernet cable to hardwire it rather than  on WiFi.