cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QggOne
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Hub connection pings slows drastically in specific instances

At (seemingly random) hours of the day internet speeds will drop to excruciatingly slow for certain connected devices. This results in services crashing on those devices. 

This is not true of all devices. Mobile phones seem to be able to always reliably use broadband. The Nintendo Switch will fail to play youtube and yet my phone can.

At this minute anytime I start up a Blizzard game my ping tanks after about  3 minutes. This pretty much always kicks me out of the service. Once the app is closed the connection on my computer returns to normal.

It's quite irritating and either feels like some sort of firewall issue or purposeful bandwidth supression. If that is so, is there anyway to add devices to a sort of safe list?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Hub connection pings slows drastically in specific instances

Welcome to this user forum.

If you are using a wireless connection, then that will be subject to intererence from other wireless signals, so its best to use an Ethernet connection wherever possible.

There is no way to control device priority on the BT home hubs.

Try a factory reset of the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn off smart setup.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

See if it helps to restore the bandwidth.

0 Ratings
QggOne
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

"If you are using a wireless connection, then that will be subject to intererence from other wireless signals, so its best to use an Ethernet connection wherever possible."

If I shut down all but one device the issue still occurs. The problem does seem to disproportionately effect gaming devices and computers which is why I still think this is an issue with security software of the device.

Ethernet is just not possible with this house. It never will be.

I tried that, nothing has changed. Certain devices are getting dropped whilst others can do whatever.

PC connects fine. When pinging google I'm getting it in 18ms. Connect to a Blizzard game, ping goes to 700ms then signal is dropped. The game disconnects and my pings slowly returns.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

It could be a faulty home hub?

0 Ratings
QggOne
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I think that might be the issue. Originally I assumed it was just a Nintendo issue (I've had a lot of experience with their wireless connection problems to anything and everything) but if it's all computers as well there's an issue.

Would it be wise to invest in a new router?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

did you try factory reset using recessed button back and holding till lights flash?

have you split the networks  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

selected channels manually rather than auto?

if you only intend to use wireless conenctions then possibly you could look at this

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Introducing-Complete-Wi-Fi-from-BT/m-p/1901302#...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
QggOne
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Nope. I'll give that a go at both of those suggestions tomorrow.

We do have a cable for the TV but it's the only one there's space for running cable for and I'm not allowed to make changes to the house.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

I assume you mean you have an Ethrrnet cable from the home hub to the TV?

Is the PC in the same room as the TV?

If it is, then you can add an Ethernet switch to the end of the cable wher the TV is, and connect both devices to the same cable.

0 Ratings