Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Johara75017
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Hub4 2.4GHz wifi not working 15ft from Hub

Go to solution
My BTHub4 wireless has been working perfectly for 18 mths but suddenly the range of my 2.4gHz wifi will not extend beyind 15 FT from the Hub. In other parts of the house I can still see the SSID and connect to it from other rooms but when I try to browse the web I get an error saying unable to connect to the Internet. I have reset the Hub, renamed the 5GHz and 2.4 GHz channels so I know what I am connecting to. The 5GHz world as usuL but the range is not good enough to use in other parts of the house. I contacted BT Support whoonitored the line for 48 hours (it was fine) before sending me a replacement BT Hub 4 router. I installed this and connected all my devices to the 2.4GHz wifi. It worked perfectly for 3 hours and then bingo! It dropped the connection half way thru streaming a movie and I couldn't connect again ... Unless I sat within 15 ft of the router! So I'm back to square one. I have tried 3 routers. Reset them. Reinstalled them but in all cases the 2.4gHz drops once I walk 15 FT from the Hub. The Hub itself is placed on a shelf with plenty of air so not overheating. Any ideas anyone?? BT is washing its hands of helping me solve the problem.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Hub4 2.4GHz wifi not working 15ft from Hub

Go to solution

obviously you split the networks so did you try using channel 13 for the 2.4ghz?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Johara75017
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
I am in awe of you!!! It worked!! I have spent countless hours on the phone to BT engineers in India and no-one suggested this (they did suggest I use Channel 9 but that didn't work).

Why does channel 13 fix the problem? I am now curious. I hope this settles it once and for all so I will let you know.

But.... THANK YOU!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

some routers cannot get channel 13 so usually it is least used

hope it continues to work for you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Johara75017
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi imjolly.  It stopped working again.  It worked fine for 24 hours after I changed to channel 13 but then this evening it just shut down and I couldnt access the internet again from my 2.4Ghz wifi...

Any ideas why a new Hub or changing to something like channel 13 works fine for a short period and then suddenly stops working?  Its not that I cant see the SSIDs. I can see them and connect to them but once I try to use them to connect to the internet... I get nothing...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Have you tried changing the lease time in your hub from 1 day to 21 days?

0 Ratings