Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prinknash
Expert
Message 21 of 47

Re: BT IPv6 with third party router

@licquorice wrote:

Those are the original settings I tried on the TD-W9980 which didn't work for me. I guess the firmware is different on the VR600

I guess.

After a moment's thought (?), I wonder if the position I'm in now is that the various devices on my network here each have IPv6 public addresses but, because of the /56 delegation issue, the VR600 itself doesn't have one. Certainly when I do the IPv6 readiness tests my Windows PC and MacBook Pro show as having different IPv6 public addresses, and the VR600's status page is blank for its own address.

Whether that theory makes sense and, if it does, what its significance is, are beyond my current state of knowledge.

p

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 47

@prinknash wrote:

Certainly when I do the IPv6 readiness tests my Windows PC and MacBook Pro show as having different IPv6 public addresses, and the VR600's status page is blank for its own address.

Perhaps the TP-Link doesn't show an IPv6 address due to the firmware thinking there should be a Global Unicast Address (GUA) on the WAN/PPPoE interface, but there isn't one. The way that IPv6 works on Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) is that it uses an IPv6 Link Local address on the WAN/PPPoE interface. The IPv6 GUA is assigned to the LAN, and then clients connected to that LAN.

If your clients have an IPv6 address then the TP-Link must have an IPv6 address on it's LAN interface, and be sending out IPv6 'Router Advertisements' telling the clients which IPv6 prefix to use.

Regards

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 23 of 47

@smf22 wrote:

@prinknash wrote:

Certainly when I do the IPv6 readiness tests my Windows PC and MacBook Pro show as having different IPv6 public addresses, and the VR600's status page is blank for its own address.

If your clients have an IPv6 address then the TP-Link must have an IPv6 address on it's LAN interface, and be sending out IPv6 'Router Advertisements' telling the clients which IPv6 prefix to use.

Regards

Yes. The clients certainly each have IPv6 addresses. But the LAN IP address shown in my VR600's user interface consists of just the prefix - the first 64 bits of what presumably ought to be a full 128 bit IPv6 address?

p

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 47

What does the address look like? Something like 2a00:23c5:xxxx:yyyy::1 ?

In IPv6 address notation leading zeros in a 16-bit block can be skipped, and a double colon can replace consecutive zeros. So the correct IPv6 address for the above example would be 2a00:23c5:xxxx:yyyy:0000:0000:0000:0001.

Regards

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 25 of 47

@smf22

It's the same 64 bits as forms the first half of each device's IPv6 address: 2a00:23c1:xxxx:yyyy:  . It ends as I've written that, with a single colon. Which is a bit odd, isn't it? Seems incomplete, as if it knows there should be more but doesn't know what that would be. The individual devices all have perfectly formed proper 128 bit addresses.

You mentioned link local addresses earlier. They take the form on devices of fe80:0000:0000:0000 followed by the same 64 bits as in the IPv6 address. (The main (?) permanent (?) IPv6 address, not the temporary one.)

p

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 26 of 47

Meant to add: this seems in line with what TP-Link have said themselves, which is that devices will be able to connect okay using IPv6 but "The only difference wil be that the router itself will not receive WAN IPv6 address, LAN IPv6 address due to the /56 limitation".

p

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 27 of 47

A list of 3rd party routers known to work with IPv6 on BT Infinity would be a pretty useful resource, ideal to keep on a wiki so that any special configuration that some models might require could have their own detailed page.

0 Ratings
nesswill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 47

..well i can say a Draytek Vigor 2860ac  works perfectly!!

...if the world didn't suck we'd all fall off...
0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 29 of 47

A google link led me to the following comment (made in the last few days) by a Netgear moderator on that company's own forums. Asked about Netgear support for the BT implementation of IPv6, the answer was this:

"BT Infinity ISP uses IPv6-PD IPv6 configuration our devices do not support IPv6-PD configuration and we do not have any plans to support this on D6400,D7000, D7800 or D8500 in future."

p

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 47

What!!!!!!!!!!!! Have they got a death wish?

0 Ratings