cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hej2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity - HH3 - no ethernet connections - help!

Go to solution

Hi,

Of late BT Infinity has been running remarkably smoothly with only the very occasional odd issue.  Last night however my BT Vision Box - spontaneously decided to completely power off and reboot from scratch - I waited for it to come back and I noteiced the error message BT vision offline - check your connections etc...  BT Vision box is connected via a pair of powerline adaptors and ethernet cables.  Now all three green lights are on both adaptors and the middle data one is flickering away as usual - however no connection on the BT Vision Box.  To further compound things I have another synced pair of powerline adapters which provide an ethernet wired connect to my iMac - and it is the same story - all green lights but no internet connection.  Curiously on the HH3 I have 3 blue lights and all wifi connections are good.  I've tried rebooting everything and it just all comes back to the stalemate I've just described.  Finally I logged in to the HH3 as admin and I confirmed that on there it clearly shows that all wifi connections are good and all wired (ethernet) devices show as not connected - which they absolutely are.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is?  I don't know if the BT Vision box power cycling had anything to do with it or not (it has done that before but with no ill-effects) my suspicions currently lie with the HH3.

Kind regards,

hej2013

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity - HH3 - no ethernet connections - help!

Go to solution
0 Ratings
hej2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT Infinity - HH3 - no ethernet connections - help!

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your link to the thread which is basically just alot of users stating that they have BT Vision reboot issues too!  i.e. no solutions!

My main technical issue is the lack of ethernet connectivity to the HH3?  any ideas on that front please?

Kind regards,

hej2013

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Re: BT Infinity - HH3 - no Ethernet connections - help!

Go to solution

Have you tried connecting an Ethernet cable directly from the home hub, to a computer, without any Powerline adapters?

You must only have one pair of powerline adapters, one of which is the master. That would be the only connection to the home hub.

Additional adapters must be synched up with the master one.

0 Ratings
hej2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you Keith,
I will try this later when I get home. I did not know that about the powerline adapters - I have had two pairs master and slave running off two ports on the HH3 with no issues (until now!!) But we'll see later on tonight when I try what you've suggested!

You don't happen to have a handy link as to how to do the resetting and pairing/syncing business with the powerlines - I seem to remember it was all a bit fiddly last time I did it?

Thanks,
hej2013
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

You will get problems running two pairs off the same home hub, apart from the issue of reduced throughput.

Here is the BT Guide http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14271/~/powerline-adapter-user-guides

You will end up with one spare one if you synch the other three together. Start by unplugging one of the set of pairs, and make sure the first set are working, then identify the one which is showing the AP light, as this will be the master.

Reset the other pair to factory default, and then add each one to the existing network. Its worth doing both, as you never know when you might need the spare one to give Internet access in another room.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
hej2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
keith - many thanks for this - will get on it later on... and update with progress (hopefully)
0 Ratings
hej2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
Keith - many many thanks - you were absolutely spot on - powerline adapters are all properly sorted out now and all is working properly now - thanks for all your help,

hej2013
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Excellent Smiley Happy

0 Ratings