cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DWS
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Infinity - Home Hub 3 - Lack of Wi Fi Range

Hi, I have BT Infinity (Fibre to Cabinet) and a Home Hub 3.  I have my iMac connected to the Hub, about two feet away, via an ethernet cable.

When I connect my iPad via WiFi, approximately 15 feet away in another room, the WiFi signal is not very good at all, in fact it drops the signal completely some times.

I switched to BT because of their advertising, which said I could run multiple devices around the house with no problem, it seems I can't and not very happy.

Can some one explain please...

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Infinity - Home Hub 3 - Lack of Wi Fi Range

For best range you need to use Wireless-N with WPA2 security and AES encryption.
Also, you should turn on 40Mhz dual-channel transmission to double the bandwidth.
You should also try Inssider or mac equivalent like Macstumbler to identify which channels are free from interference and set the Homehub to that instead of automatic.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

WiFi range is not guaranteed by BT, as there are too many variables.

If you have tried all of the wireless channels, and still need to extend the range of the wireless, or Ethernet, then this page should help.

BT Connected Home Range of devices to extend broadband

0 Ratings
DWS
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

"For best range you need to use Wireless-N with WPA2 security and AES encryption."

Thanks for the reply, how do I do this?

0 Ratings
DWS
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

"WiFi range is not guaranteed by BT, as there are too many variables."

So what you are saying is that BT's advertising is mis-leading, I would have thought that using an iPad in the room next door  via WiFi it should have a very good connection - according to the advertising - which shows a student house with a number of computers running on WiFi all over the house with no problems at all.  It seems that once again customers are being taken for a ride where reality doesn't match the promised claims.  I don't think I should have to purchase more equipment just to get a reasonable service?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

It depends on whether its a solid wall. WiFi does not normally pass through solid walls, however, it does tend to bounce around a bit, and if there is another path it can take, say via a door opening, it may be able to allow a small amount of signal through.

What sort of signal level are you getting in the next room? Have you tried changing to a different wireless channel?

0 Ratings
DWS
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

"Have you tried changing to a different wireless channel?"

How do I do that?  This was not explained to me when the system was set up. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@DWS wrote:

"Have you tried changing to a different wireless channel?"

How do I do that?  This was not explained to me when the system was set up. 

I will give you some links that will help.

Change encryption

Change Wireless channel

0 Ratings
DWS
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

OK, followed that link but the link  http://bthomehub.home does not work, I get the message "Can't find server" ?

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 10 of 11

@ray_dorset wrote:
Also, you should turn on 40Mhz dual-channel transmission to double the bandwidth.

I wouldn't do this on a 2.4ghz only router unless there is no other wifi signal around.

I use the other settings mentioned and the range is excellent as is the reliability.

0 Ratings