cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity Hub v4 - range extender issues BT 500 kit

I was pleased with Infinity, but v4 wireless range seemed worse than v3 - so I decided to install some range extenders to get the system working in my office at the top of the house - I bought a  BT Extender 500 Kit.

When first installed it worked really well in my office for 24 hours with an XP desk top (called XP1), then when I started up aat the beginning of yesterday, the system tells me there's limited or no connectivity and since then I've rebooted everything - PC, router, extenders several times but the signal won't return. Using the same make of extender in the next room to my upstairs office, the system works well on a different XP PC (called XP2). XP2 also will work with wireless in this location but slower; XP2 will  not work in the same location as the failing to connect XP1. Another XP PC (called XP3) is working well via ethernet wired directly to the router. 

Whilst XP1 has failed the other 2, XP2 and XP3 have continued to operate without a problem (so far, fingers crossed)

Any ideas to get XP1 working via a range extender?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Richarddixon
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity Hub v4 - range extender issues BT 500 kit

I also have a problem with a BT Extender, although mne is a 200.

It very erratic, sometmes I get a great speed, mostly the indicator light is red though and I am currently into a second day of no speed at all.

I pretty sure it is not the wiring in the home as it was completly rewired under a year ago.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Have you tried them in the same room, just to prove that they are not faulty?

Are you plugging then directly into a wall socket, and not via any extension cables?

Do you have any other powerline devices working in the house, eg for BT Vision?

0 Ratings
Richarddixon
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

I have 2 different BT extenders and its the same with both and I am plugging them into a socket not a extension cable.

I haven't tried them in the same room other than when I set them up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Are both sets exactly the same make and model?

How many are you actually using, as you must only have one master unit, and any others must be slaves.

0 Ratings
Richarddixon
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Both are bt extenders and there is only one master.

I have 3 in total, but I am only using 2, 1 master and and 1 slave.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@Richarddixon wrote:
Both are bt extenders and there is only one master.

I have 3 in total, but I am only using 2, 1 master and and 1 slave.

Thats fine, if they are all BT 500 extenders, then there should be no problem. All you can do is to try them in the same room, and make sure that they are not faulty.

There are not normally any problems with powerline type devices, provided they are both connected to the same mains consumer unit, and not via any extension leads.

0 Ratings
Richarddixon
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

There are normally fine for other people, I've seen that people really rate them, which is why I bought them.

I'm really stumped as to what the problem is, it has occured to me that the 2 I am using as slaves (only one at a time) are both not faulty, because I've tried them both with the same problem, so logically the one I am using as a master could be the fault. I will try using one of the ones that I do think is faulty as the master.

The other option is that they are all faulty.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

You could try reconfiguring one of the slaves as master, and trying it with the other slave. This may identify what the issue is.

Is there anything plugged into the same socket as the master, which may be causing mains interference?

0 Ratings
Richarddixon
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

There are a number of things plugged in both ends of the equation.

At the master end there is a sky box, bluray palyer, the homehub4 and a telephone, at the slave end the is an extension cable plugged in, digital switch and a printer. However there is another 2 gang socket with nothing plugged, I've tried it there and the problems are the same.

I just tried one of the extenders downstairs (I'm using it normally in a upstairs room furthest away from the homehub) in a socket by itself and it worked, when I brought it back upstairs it started to work and then stopped after about 10 minutes.

0 Ratings